• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
DC's feast or famine winters - a global warming link?

capitalweather

Zwyts has lamented the loss of the 20-30" in winter in DC...

Interesting stat (including this winter, assuming we hold at 1.5"- which is possibly dubious admittedly)... since 1984, we've had 5 winters with above normal snow averaging 40"..., the remaining 25 winters (normal to below normal) averaged just 9".

I have a blog discussion on the possible role in global warming in the seeming increase in feast or famine winters...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/does-the-less-snow-more-blizzards-global-warming-theory-hold-up-in-washington-dc/2013/02/20/3de44236-7acf-11e2-9a75-dab0201670da_blog.html

There are some good comments/discussion going...

- Jason

Just visually based on the 1st figure, it seems that mean snowfall has become less and less representative of what actually falls, particularly since 1980 or so.  Maybe even just since 1990.  Hard to argue with Figure 3.  Clearly shows that while a cyclical process might be present, it is superimposed on a downward linear trend.  

Being a life long NoVa resident it is clear to me that something has changed in the last 10-20 years. I know everyone will say 30 years is just a snapshot but wx patterns have shifted and we seem to be experiencing wx that is different than what has been tradition. You could even use the same argument of shorter winters as to why our summers seem hotter and drier.

Interesting article

Archived