• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Found My Favorite Winter event ever - Great Site

tarheelwx

I've often remembered in great detail the February snowstorm of 1979 here in Greensboro.  I remember Frank Deal talked about it for days while NWS didn't even mention it until about 36 hours before.  The thing that still stands out in my mind was the continuous heavy snow and that temps dropped to 7 degrees at noon, northeast winds howled, and we got about 10" of snow.  I could never understand why blizzard warnings weren't issued.  I guess the wind just wasn't quite strong enough.  Regardless, here's a site where you can just plug in the date and see the history.  Check out the hourly precip and temp obs.  This one and blizzard of '93 are hands down my favorites. 

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KGSO/1979/2/18/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Greensboro&req_state=NC&req_statename=North+Carolina

One other thing I hadn't remembered was how warm it was before the storm. 64 just two days before and it was reasonably warm in the days right after.  Sounds like we threaded the needle on that one.

TW

I think today they probably would put out blizzard warnings.  We had about 10" of dry powder, 3' drifts, and gusts of 25-28mph.  We only missed 2 or 3 days of school.  I think it was in the 40's the next day.  Incredible storm. The only way I could follow it back then was to watch Frank Deal or Randy Jackson/Lee Kinard, as well as hang on every 5 am and 5pm forecast update coming over my weather radio.  In that day, it was all I had.

TW

Archived