• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Analogs

bluewave

The PNA pattern this year is very similar to 54-55, 65-66, 84-85, 08-09, and 10-11.

Those years all featured a -PNA in December shifting to positive for January like

we are seeing this year.

December 2012

December composite

The models are forecasting a PNA spike next week which will be associated with the 

coldest temperatures of the season here so far.

January 2013 so far

January composite

This type of pattern switched back to a more negative PNA pattern in all the analog years 

for the month of February. 

February composite

The February temperatures were mostly above normal here.

February snowfall NYC

The PNA pattern this year is very similar to 54-55, 65-66, 84-85, 08-09, and 10-11.

Those years all featured a -PNA in December shifting to positive for January like

we are seeing this year.

December 2012

attachicon.gifDEC12.png

December composite

attachicon.gifDEC.png

The models are forecasting a PNA spike next week which will be associated with the 

coldest temperatures of the season here so far.

attachicon.gifpna.sprd2.gif

January 2013 so far

attachicon.gif13.gif

January composite

attachicon.gifJAN.png

This type of pattern switched back to a more negative PNA pattern in all the analog years 

for the month of February. 

February composite

attachicon.gifFEB.png

The February temperatures were mostly above normal here.

attachicon.gifFEBT.png

Actulally showing about 1 above normal which will probably make it the coldest and perhaps best winter month this year.

February snowfall NYC

HM thinks the -EPO block will stick around for most of February, with a consistent trough in the East. I don't think we're going to see a strong SE ridge in February by any stretch of the imagination, and it could be our best month. Definitely a strong possibility for this to be a comeback winter with a cold/snowy 2nd half of January into February. 

Good post bluewave. I agree that the PNA should return to a more negative state in February, as a Nov-Dec -PNA strongly correlates to the winter DJF -PNA overall, given the -PDO backdrop as well. However, I always thought this winter would feature 1 solid month of +PNA and it appears Jan will be that month.

With regards to the EPO, I think we'll see that index continue generally negative throughout February, and when coupled with a -AO/NAO, should yield a much cooler Northeast than we saw in December. The November -EPO was a strong foreteller of a DJF -EPO overall, and again one month was likely to be +EPO, obviously it was December.

If a -EPO/-PNA/-AO/-PNA pattern occurs for February, that could be quite a cold one for much of the nation. Will be interesting to see how the second half of this winter transpires. Should be much different than the first.

HM thinks the -EPO block will stick around for most of February, with a consistent trough in the East. I don't think we're going to see a strong SE ridge in February by any stretch of the imagination, and it could be our best month. Definitely a strong possibility for this to be a comeback winter with a cold/snowy 2nd half of January into February. 

Good post bluewave. I agree that the PNA should return to a more negative state in February, as a Nov-Dec -PNA strongly correlates to the winter DJF -PNA overall, given the -PDO backdrop as well. However, I always thought this winter would feature 1 solid month of +PNA and it appears Jan will be that month.

With regards to the EPO, I think we'll see that index continue generally negative throughout February, and when coupled with a -AO/NAO, should yield a much cooler Northeast than we saw in December. The November -EPO was a strong foreteller of a DJF -EPO overall, and again one month was likely to be +EPO, obviously it was December.

If a -EPO/-PNA/-AO/-PNA pattern occurs for February, that could be quite a cold one for much of the nation. Will be interesting to see how the second half of this winter transpires. Should be much different than the first.

It will be interesting to see how things work out in February. But we can still see a good start to the month

before the pattern changes if the analogs hold up.

Our only cold Februaries here over the last decade have been during El Nino winters. The cold PDO pattern

in the Pacific really dominated so the El Nino never developed this winter. Instead, the latest Nino 3.4 weekly

SST anomaly is now -0.6 C.

Here's the February NYC temperature departures with the cold El Nino years bolded:

2012.....+5.6

2011.....+1.5

2010.....-1.4

2009.....+2.1

2008......+1.2

2007......-6.3

2006......+1.2

2005......+2.0

2004......+0.4

2003......-4.5

Archived