• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
This Date in Weather History.... 12/22/1989

crossthread

Enter the Coastal Beach Bum, Young Married guy, (I was 24).... Working My butt off @ Jiffy Lube... LOL.

Here in ILM, Just a Couple Days before was Tee-Shirt(s), Nice Weather as Always....

Then this Weather came through & up the Coast, *Officially* 15' @ the Airport, though places around here in town got over/up too 24` 27 inches in places, close to the River/coastal communites etc, @ the beach...

I wish I had some of the Weather/TV Explaintions from the Forecaster(s) back then, LOL! Taken off the TV Stations...

***WE Cannot tell you "when" it's going to stop snowing***

Winds Blowing a steady 35+ out-side the house, As WE lived close to the beach...

Looking at the street-light, a Solid White curtain steadily shifted & Weaves pattern's in the Air as I watched, Warm inside My Mom & Dads house...

As My New Wife & I stayed in a Trailer, My Dad insisted We stay w/them, I'm glad We did, As the Whole Mobile Home was buried in snow.....

The Weather service/Local Mets didn't catch on that the Low was going to "Bomb-Out", As it did off the Southern Carolina(s) Coast....

Credit(s) to NOAA/Events Case Studies...

>snip<

A storm system moving across the Florida peninsula and along the Southern Atlantic Coast produced high winds and record snows along the Carolina coast. On the evening of December 22, the developing offshore storm system began to produce snow in southeastern North Carolina. By early on the 23rd, the storm had intensified dramatically, producing 60 mph winds and waves as high as 34 feet in the near-shore waters. The tanker Benjamin Isherwood ran aground just off Corolla. Snow fell from the evening of the 22nd to about midday on the 24th.

Snowfall totals of 15 inches at Wilmington, NC and 13.3 inches at Cape Hatteras, NC were all-time records for those locations. The final snow depth at Cape Hatteras does not account for about five inches of snow that melted when the snow changed briefly to rain on the 23rd. Along the northern coast, snow amounts ranged from 10 inches at Manteo to one inch at the Virginia border. Gusty winds piled snow drifts four to eight feet high all along the coast. Many towns were paralyzed. The snow shattered many snow records for the coastal areas (Figure 1). Gale force winds whipped the heavy snow into drifts up to 8 feet high.>snip<

Look at the maps here....

LINK---> http://www.erh.noaa....23/19891223.php

post-2767-0-30410500-1356186055_thumb.jp

Enter the Coastal Beach Bum, Young Married guy, (I was 24).... Working My butt off @ Jiffy Lube... LOL.

Here in ILM, Just a Couple Days before was Tee-Shirt(s), Nice Weather as Always....

Then this Weather came through & up the Coast, *Officially* 15' @ the Airport, though places around here in town got over/up too 24` 27 inches in places, close to the River/coastal communites etc, @ the beach...

I wish I had some of the Weather/TV Explaintions from the Forecaster(s) back then, LOL! Taken off the TV Stations...

***WE Cannot tell you "when" it's going to stop snowing***

Winds Blowing a steady 35+ out-side the house, As WE lived close to the beach...

Looking at the street-light, a Solid White curtain steadily shifted & Weaves pattern's in the Air as I watched, Warm inside My Mom & Dads house...

As My New Wife & I stayed in a Trailer, My Dad insisted We stay w/them, I'm glad We did, As the Whole Mobile Home was buried in snow.....

The Weather service/Local Mets didn't catch on that the Low was going to "Bomb-Out", As it did off the Southern Carolina(s) Coast....

Credit(s) to NOAA/Events Case Studies...

>snip<

A storm system moving across the Florida peninsula and along the Southern Atlantic Coast produced high winds and record snows along the Carolina coast. On the evening of December 22, the developing offshore storm system began to produce snow in southeastern North Carolina. By early on the 23rd, the storm had intensified dramatically, producing 60 mph winds and waves as high as 34 feet in the near-shore waters. The tanker Benjamin Isherwood ran aground just off Corolla. Snow fell from the evening of the 22nd to about midday on the 24th.

Snowfall totals of 15 inches at Wilmington, NC and 13.3 inches at Cape Hatteras, NC were all-time records for those locations. The final snow depth at Cape Hatteras does not account for about five inches of snow that melted when the snow changed briefly to rain on the 23rd. Along the northern coast, snow amounts ranged from 10 inches at Manteo to one inch at the Virginia border. Gusty winds piled snow drifts four to eight feet high all along the coast. Many towns were paralyzed. The snow shattered many snow records for the coastal areas (Figure 1). Gale force winds whipped the heavy snow into drifts up to 8 feet high.>snip<

Look at the maps here....

LINK---> http://www.erh.noaa....23/19891223.php

I remember that storm well......If my memory serves me right, Wilmington NC dropped to around 0 degrees F after the storm with a fresh deep snowcover while in the western part of the state we were around 10 degrees and bare ground.

Savannah area has had three storms of 3-5" of S over the last 130 years. This was one of them and was the coldest snowstorm at least since 2/1899. Other two were on 2/8/1968 and 2/10/1973. They got 2" in the 2/1899 blizzard. However, these types of accumulations were a bit more common during the prior 130 years and included two real humdingers in the early 1800's.

Archived