• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Can we put the navigation bar ABOVE the menu bar?

WidreMann

This is happening over and over again for me: I go to click on some part of the navigation bar to get to another part of the site and then I end up going a little too far and out pops the menu. Of course, I'm already mousing back down and clicking the link, but the link I want isn't there because it's covered up by the stupid popup. So now I end up in some other part of the site. Not happy.

I have Chrome and I don't have this problem. So you're hovering over the nav bar and it is activating one of the drop downs in the menu bar?

I want to ditch the big light blue nav bar and find something else but I will see if I can put some distance between the two.

Here's the XPath from Chrome's inspector for one of the little arrows:

//*[@id="nav_app_core"]/a/span

The CSS class is downarrow or rightarrow.

It actually belongs inside

//*[@id="breadcrumb"]/li[0]/a/span

which is the box that contains the menu header. Somehow it slides down below the menu bar.

Turning off

display: inline-block

from the class

#community_app_menu li > a > .downarrow

seems to fix it in Chrome for me.

It shouldn't be in breadcrumb div at all, only in nav_app_core which houses the menu. Looks good there. I turned off the display property and goes missing for me. What if I add an overflow: hidden property?

I think I gave you the wrong XPath. I gotta go now, but I'll check it out this evening.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll put the menu software on the test board and let you play with it.

The down arrow are in a > span tags for me.

They're in the right tags, but they show up in weird places. I'm honestly stumped, aside from the one fix I found. Maybe I should just write a user CSS for this site.

I just fixed it by adding the following custom CSS using the Chrome extension Personalized Web:

#community_app_menu li>a>.downarrow {

display:none !important
}

#community_app_menu li>a>.downarrow:hover {
}

Edit: so apparently, you can't paste CSS code into posts...

I added that and standard Chrome displays.. well as you would assume... nothing. As long as it works for you I guess that all that matters. I guess I could add it to the template file for dev Chrome users only. Not sure how to do that with CSS though.

#community_app_menu li a .downarrow {

}

#community_app_menu li a .downarrow:hover 
{
}

I added that and standard Chrome displays.. well as you would assume... nothing. As long as it works for you I guess that all that matters. I guess I could add it to the template file for dev Chrome users only. Not sure how to do that with CSS though.

#community_app_menu li a .downarrow {

}

#community_app_menu li a .downarrow:hover 
{
}

Yeah, it doesn't seem to do anything wherever you put it. I'll just stick with my home-grown solution.

BTW, I downgraded to Chrome Beta channel, and the problem is still there. I'm guessing it's just a Chrome problem. It's also present on Linux with what I believe to be the equivalent of the Beta channel.

Archived