• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Uploading Weather Data/Obs

Disc

I just purchased a Davis Vantage Pro 2 (hoping that was the better decision rather than the Vantage Vue) and I am quite anxious for its arrival, but in the meantime, does anyone have any good links or directions to show how to upload the data to a site such as Weather Underground? I've already found WeatherLink, but is there any others that work well? I'd like to familiarize myself with how to do it when the time comes.

Yeah, I ended up finding that last night. Also found Cumulus. Would that be a good free option as well? I'm kinda tight on money after dropping it for the VP2.

Cumulus is a good choice also. I've been using Weather-Display for my VP2 station since 2006. Love it.

Uploads to any number of sites like WU, Weather For You, WeatherBug, PWS, etc etc.

Plus built in webcam streaming software if you're going to do that also.

I think it's $75 now (?) Unlimited software updates, great support forum and tons of templates to create your own site.

Free fully functioning 30 day trial also

~Tony

Cumulus is a good choice also. I've been using Weather-Display for my VP2 station since 2006. Love it.

Uploads to any number of sites like WU, Weather For You, WeatherBug, PWS, etc etc.

Plus built in webcam streaming software if you're going to do that also.

I think it's $75 now (?) Unlimited software updates, great support forum and tons of templates to create your own site.

Free fully functioning 30 day trial also

~Tony

I may go with Cumulus for now as it seems to do a lot for free. I was browsing the WU site and it seemed quite a few people were using Cumulus for their software.

OK, good ;)

Right now, I'm using Davis WeatherLinkIP, but am planning on adding a second upload connection to Ambient Weather's WeatherHub. The latter has a more frequent upload rate available than the former. The reason I use these two devices is because they are independent of my computer, so I don't need to worry about update reboots, accidental shutdowns after power fluctuations, ect. Davis WeatherLinkIP is completely self-controlled and immediately starts uploading data again after a power interruption. WeatherHub is supposed to do the same thing.

OK, good ;)

Right now, I'm using Davis WeatherLinkIP, but am planning on adding a second upload connection to Ambient Weather's WeatherHub. The latter has a more frequent upload rate available than the former. The reason I use these two devices is because they are independent of my computer, so I don't need to worry about update reboots, accidental shutdowns after power fluctuations, ect. Davis WeatherLinkIP is completely self-controlled and immediately starts uploading data again after a power interruption. WeatherHub is supposed to do the same thing.

For the time being I'll probably have to run it off the computer using Cumulus. I'll have to go disable automatic updates and all that stuff so I don't have to worry about it rebooting. I do like the idea of having it separate from the computer though and WeatherLinkIP or WeatherHub may be the way to go in the future, but for now, I suppose a direct computer connection will have to do. One question though: If my computer does happens to shut off, is it hard to get everything back online, or is it just a matter of starting Cumulus up again and connecting it back to WU?

I may go with Cumulus for now as it seems to do a lot for free. I was browsing the WU site and it seemed quite a few people were using Cumulus for their software.

Yep. Quite popular software. If you ever want to do a website, there's templates for that software that are easy as anything to configure.

I'm going to shamelessly plug CWOP as one of the networks you should consider sending your data to. CWOP feeds directly into NWS offices (so you can tell why I'm plugging it wink.png ). Let me know if you have any questions about it. http://www.wxqa.com/

Yes CWOP also. Been uploading to them since I started also. Those temps have made their way onto my local TV

weather reports on a couple of stations here. Not sure if they are grabbing the CWOP data or MADIS maybe.

~Tony

Yep. Quite popular software. If you ever want to do a website, there's templates for that software that are easy as anything to configure.

Yes CWOP also. Been uploading to them since I started also. Those temps have made their way onto my local TV

weather reports on a couple of stations here. Not sure if they are grabbing the CWOP data or MADIS maybe.

~Tony

Well, CWOP flows into MADIS first, then out to other places, so technically its all from MADIS ;)

I highly endorse Cumulus... The modifications, flexibility, plug-ins and features available are very good and it has a large userbase for if you need help. With other software: A. You might have to pay for it B. A Manual doesn't tell you everything.

I run my station with cumulus KMDSEVER7 and I use a .ini file modification that Cumulus adds up and averages my wind speed over 2 minutes and takes the top gust in the last 10 min. Which is exactly NWS Specs, no other software I've found can do that. ;)

My VP2 is scheduled to arrive today. I hope it gets here soon enough so I can get it going before this evening!

I highly endorse Cumulus... The modifications, flexibility, plug-ins and features available are very good and it has a large userbase for if you need help. With other software: A. You might have to pay for it B. A Manual doesn't tell you everything.

I run my station with cumulus KMDSEVER7 and I use a .ini file modification that Cumulus adds up and averages my wind speed over 2 minutes and takes the top gust in the last 10 min. Which is exactly NWS Specs, no other software I've found can do that. ;)

Any possibility I could get that modification? That would be very useful! Question: Cumulus will support WU's rapid fire updates, correct?

Thank You. I didnt know where it all goes when I send it. :)

Been sending it for years to a number of places.

Yes, you can in fact send it to just CWOP/MADIS, and it will show up, for example, on Wunderground, since they "borrow" all the MADIS data. You won't get rapid fire that way though, you'll have to send to Wunderground directly for that.

So it doesn't come with anything that allows me to connect it to my computer? I just opened it and I don't see anything that allows me to connect it.. So I have to either fork out another $100+ dollars for the software I don't really need and a cable or can I just go with THIS and forget about the software since I'll be using Cumulus? Guess I didn't read into it as far as I should have.

So it doesn't come with anything that allows me to connect it to my computer? I just opened it and I don't see anything that allows me to connect it.. So I have to either fork out another $100+ dollars for the software I don't really need and a cable or can I just go with THIS and forget about the software since I'll be using Cumulus? Guess I didn't read into it as far as I should have.

Yeah, Davis is good quality, but expensive, and little extras like ability to connect and upload don't come with it.

Got everything hooked up and working with Weather Underground as well as waiting to hear back from the CWOP folks. I wasn't able to figure out how to get my console to connect with Cumulus, so I'm running rapid fire updates off of WeatherLink and WU's module. Anyone know why I can't get the console to connect to Cumulus?

Got everything hooked up and working with Weather Underground as well as waiting to hear back from the CWOP folks. I wasn't able to figure out how to get my console to connect with Cumulus, so I'm running rapid fire updates off of WeatherLink and WU's module. Anyone know why I can't get the console to connect to Cumulus?

They've got a good support forum here:

http://sandaysoft.com/forum/

Did you hear back now?

Yes, got a reply back and it appears that everything got corrected. I'm still a little confused on what server to use. Right now I'm using cwop.aprs.net. Since I'm now registered as a ham, do I use the APRS core servers or tier 2 servers?

Yes, got a reply back and it appears that everything got corrected. I'm still a little confused on what server to use. Right now I'm using cwop.aprs.net. Since I'm now registered as a ham, do I use the APRS core servers or tier 2 servers?

Hmm... I don't know. I'm not a HAM so just let the software do all the work as far as "where to send it". If you're using a CWOP number and not your HAM number, I think I saw somewhere that you should just let the software do it. For both WeatherLinkIP and MeteoHUB (I've used both), there wasn't an obvious "option" to switch servers, so I just let it send it wherever.

I do know its going where it needs to because...

http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/roman/meso_base.cgi?stn=E0093&time=GMT

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/E0093

Hmm... I don't know. I'm not a HAM so just let the software do all the work as far as "where to send it". If you're using a CWOP number and not your HAM number, I think I saw somewhere that you should just let the software do it. For both WeatherLinkIP and MeteoHUB (I've used both), there wasn't an obvious "option" to switch servers, so I just let it send it wherever.

I do know its going where it needs to because...

http://raws.wrh.noaa...=E0093&time=GMT

http://weather.glads....net/site/E0093

My data hasn't shown up on those two links you posted above yet. Says something about not being updated in their databases. The email I got back said I'd be added to the mesonet pages on the 12th. Apparently I'm doing something correct because I am showing up on the findU website and I've been added to the APRSWXNETStation.txt as well as the active users page: http://www.wxqa.com/members.txt

Regarding what server to use, I may just go ahead and shoot one of the CWOP folks an e-mail. They said to use my callsign instead my CWOP number, but I still don't know which server to use, so I'm currently uploading it to the default one.

Thanks for the extra help by the way. This is all new to me. :P

My data hasn't shown up on those two links you posted above yet. Says something about not being updated in their databases. The email I got back said I'd be added to the mesonet pages on the 12th. Apparently I'm doing something correct because I am showing up on the findU website and I've been added to the APRSWXNETStation.txt as well as the active users page: http://www.wxqa.com/members.txt

Regarding what server to use, I may just go ahead and shoot one of the CWOP folks an e-mail. They said to use my callsign instead my CWOP number, but I still don't know which server to use, so I'm currently uploading it to the default one.

Thanks for the extra help by the way. This is all new to me. :P

Also consider signing up for the e-mail list, there's a lot of knowledgeable people here who can help you:

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/mailman/listinfo/wxqc

My VP2 is scheduled to arrive today. I hope it gets here soon enough so I can get it going before this evening!

Any possibility I could get that modification? That would be very useful! Question: Cumulus will support WU's rapid fire updates, correct?

Sorry for late reply, didn't see this till now..

1. I'm not at home till next week, I'll post it then.

2. Yes, it will support Rapid Fire.

Sorry for late reply, didn't see this till now..

1. I'm not at home till next week, I'll post it then.

2. Yes, it will support Rapid Fire.

No problem. I just need to figure out how to get Cumulus to recognize my VP2 console. The UI of Cumulus is much more appealing than WeatherLink.

Archived