Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
South-East Ski Resorts

WilkesboroDude

I'll start.

North Carolina Ski Area: New: Base: Surface Conditions: Trails: Lifts: Cataloochee Ski Area 0 8 Variable 3 2 Ski Beech Mountain Resort 0 0 N/A 0 N/A Sugar Mountain Resort 0 7 Machine Groomed 2 1

Tennessee Ski Area: New: Base: Surface Conditions: Trails: Lifts: Ski Lifts and Resorts Not Reporting: Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort - Amusement

Anyone go to any of these? If so, how was your experience?

I like Sugar mainly because it has decent length runs, but I hate fighting crowds. Biggest issue with NC resorts is the small acreage. Bunches people up and IMO, if all you can do is go on weekends or holidays, makes your cost per run very high for the quality of snow/terrain. I still love being able to ski in our great state though, we are lucky to be able to do so no doubt.

I like Sugar mainly because it has decent length runs, but I hate fighting crowds. Biggest issue with NC resorts is the small acreage. Bunches people up and IMO, if all you can do is go on weekends or holidays, makes your cost per run very high for the quality of snow/terrain. I still love being able to ski in our great state though, we are lucky to be able to do so no doubt.

I prefer to go up to Winterplace (Flat Top, WV). It's about the same distance from my house and the runs/conditions are a lot better. I went to Cataloochee last year and it was an icy hell.

Snowshoe is even better, but it's further away and usually quite a bit more crowded.

Of course, none of our ski resorts can compare to those of the Rockies (or even those of Vermont), but it is what it is! smile.png

Like WxKnurd said, my experience has been that Sugar is crazy on the weekends. I like going there but unless it's a weekday...blah. I have not personally skied at Ski Beech or Appalachian, but what I've heard about Beech has always been good. I think getting up the mountain to the resort after a snowstorm can be a b**ch though :P I don't even really like the road up there even in the summer. I have had more experience with the Va. mountain ski resorts like Wintergreen and Massanutten, though it's been a long while since I've been to either. I'm not a great skier at all but I do enjoy it, and hopefully can start back going at least a few times a year now that the baby is getting bigger.

Has anyone been to Canaan Valley in WV? We were thinking about going there a couple of years ago but went to Snowshoe instead.

Tammy over at Cataloochee announced today that they will remain open throughout the season, fighting warm temps these next few weeks. We are the official snowmaking service for Cataloochee's off site clients. Been waiting for colder temps to migrate down the hill and get us in on the action in the valley. www.wheemakesnow.com

Winter place is my choice for best value closest to Charlotte. I'd like to try wintergreen since the black diamonds are contained to themselves. Snowshoe is awesome, Canaan Valley is supposed to be just as good. Seven Springs in PA is like Snowsho, not as high elevation though. Vermont snow is heaven :). Yet to be out west, but big sky will be an anniversary trip next year I hope.

Archived