• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Is KTTN running a bit too warm?

phlwx

It's the warmest spot in New Jersey among the main climate sites at 5 AM (warmer than even EWR) and month-to-date is averaging higher than PHL (55.4 at TTN, 55.3 at PHL), with the average high running 0.5 higher...

In March, TTN averaged 52.5, higher than PHL (52.2).

In February, TTN 41.1, PHL 40.9.

Any idea what's up?

It's the warmest spot in New Jersey among the main climate sites at 5 AM (warmer than even EWR) and month-to-date is averaging higher than PHL (55.4 at TTN, 55.3 at PHL), with the average high running 0.5 higher...

In March, TTN averaged 52.5, higher than PHL (52.2).

In February, TTN 41.1, PHL 40.9.

Any idea what's up?

Yeah, I've noticed that too, but I've also noticed Ray's parents temps. from Ray's posts have been higher than most other places too (I think he was over 90 yesterday for example).

I'm sure he'll add his 2 cents on it all.

Reminds me of PTW airport a year or two ago......pretty sure there was a warm bias there that was corrected.

It is known that KTTN seems to have trended warmer, however I am told that our techs have gone to the site at least a few times with other instrumentation and those read very similar to KTTN. Our techs do calibration checks on the ASOS's and I was told the readings at this site are within error tolerance. We have been noticing some nearby mesonet sites have also been warmer, similiar to the KTTN obs. We are not certain for sure, but it looks like some sort of microclimate or perhaps local geography/affects may be playing a role here. I have not paid close attention, but yesterday for example this occurred in northern Burlington county where several stations were 90-92 degrees. We topped out at 92 degrees here at the NWS office yesterday.

It is known that KTTN seems to have trended warmer, however I am told that our techs have gone to the site at least a few times with other instrumentation and those read very similar to KTTN. Our techs do calibration checks on the ASOS's and I was told the readings at this site are within error tolerance. We have been noticing some nearby mesonet sites have also been warmer, similiar to the KTTN obs. We are not certain for sure, but it looks like some sort of microclimate or perhaps local geography/affects may be playing a role here. I have not paid close attention, but yesterday for example this occurred in northern Burlington county where several stations were 90-92 degrees. We topped out at 92 degrees here at the NWS office yesterday.

The thermometer is running warmer because it is really trying to coax Ray home by saying- "Ray please come home- our desert climate is better for you"

By the way Mike- have you ran all of the gas out of your snow blower yet or did you ever fill it up?

The thermometer is running warmer because it is really trying to coax Ray home by saying- "Ray please come home- our desert climate is better for you"

:lol:

By the way Mike- have you ran all of the gas out of your snow blower yet or did you ever fill it up?

I started it up a few times. I left some gas in it, but added fuel stabilizer to store it. There was actually more dust accumulation on it than snow. :(

curious -- what is error tolerance? 1, 2 degrees?

curious -- what is error tolerance? 1, 2 degrees?

I was told that the temperature error is plus or minus 5 degrees when compared to the sling psychrometer reading. I talked to our techs this afternoon and they may be able to check the sensor tomorrow.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived