• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Drought buster: Next precip in Denver?

OK, as we watch a brown Spring emerge and reflect way back to February 3rd, our last 0.1" or greater and over a foot of snow in Denver:

Opinions on next measurable, next 0.1" or greater, and next 0.5" or greater (all water equivalent) in a calendar day at KDEN? Here goes, for starters:

0.01" or greater: 4/7

0.1" or greater: 4/25

0.5" or greater: 5/27

OK, so call me a pessimist. :devilsmiley:

OK, as we watch a brown Spring emerge and reflect way back to February 3rd, our last 0.1" or greater and over a foot of snow in Denver:

Opinions on next measurable, next 0.1" or greater, and next 0.5" or greater (all water equivalent) in a calendar day at KDEN? Here goes, for starters:

0.01" or greater: 4/7

0.1" or greater: 4/25

0.5" or greater: 5/27

OK, so call me a pessimist. :devilsmiley:

April 2nd through 4th: 0.01" sems likely, maybe over 0.10"

Fort Collins has gotten a trace of precipitation this month. This is the driest 31 days I have ever lived through.

Here is an SREF chart for April 3, 06z; it's the chance of 24 hour precip greater than 0.10". This looks like a fair chance for rain around here.

post-1182-0-99912900-1333221638.gif

48 hour precip from the GFS

post-1182-0-93044600-1333227237.gif

I think I am starting to guess why nobody's placing bets... insanely hard to forecast these. Will root for the GFS for early this week and leave it at that.

Was at Loveland skiing today and it was absolute mashed potatoes after noon with base high temps in the upper 50s. Impressive for 10600 ft on 3/31. Still, skiing when "clothing optional" would be appropriate ain't all bad. :)

Well the GFS does show 0.3 to 0.5" for Denver, depending on the model run. I don't think that will be 3 to 5 inches of snow, actually it seems like it should be a pretty low snow:rain ratio, and may be rain in the daytime. This type of a front range storm system sometimes brings surprising amounts of snow to the mountains/foothills if it's close enough to the upper low. In this case, the upper low is in New Mexico, and the surface temps should get above freezing for all urban areas.

two milestones busted already... yay. 0.11 QPF so far at KDEN. 2" snow on our grass, snowing hard now. :snowman:

Good for you. 10 miles SSW of Denver we've only got about 0.5" of snow so far. Here's to hoping we catch up to you guys on the north side of town.

Finished with 3" snow, no read on QPF yet as the rain gauge is covered- will melt tomorrow and see. At least 0.2" but I think less than 0.5". KDEN was about 0.47 and KAPA only 0.18 (?why) - we are 3 miles N of APA.

A couple neighbors turned on their lawn irrigation systems over the weekend... and at 6 PM this evening they started like clockwork to water the new snow. :axe:

Wow. According to CoCoRAHS, Elbert County got up to 12" of snow. Here in Fort Collins, we had a trace of snow. I could see snow that was in the grass, but not covering the grass. The snow was still there up the late morning or early afternoon hours. Then it melted, and we had a tiny bit of drizzle. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. When is it going to rain?

Archived