• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec. 22nd Severe Thread

andyhb

I take that back... Gordon County confirmed EF3 and a confirmed EF1 in Coweta County. There are at least 4 surveys yet to be completed in the BMX area. 6 confirmed tornadoes so far and almost 60 reports. Quite a little system for late December. I wonder if GA has ever seen an EF3 in December.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was coming together when it hit our subdivision. Driving around our neighborhood, there were at least 10 houses with some structural damage. We were very fortunate.

I see you are from Adairsville... that is in Bartow County, right? When I'm not at school, I am down here in Cartersville. I've heard a lot about damage in the Adairsville and am wondering if they have been surveying any areas in Bartow.

I see you are from Adairsville... that is in Bartow County, right? When I'm not at school, I am down here in Cartersville. I've heard a lot about damage in the Adairsville and am wondering if they have been surveying any areas in Bartow.

Zack, my subdivision is actually off Hwy 41 and straddles the Bartow/Gordon County line. I am not aware of any surveys but imagine there has to be some in the area. I said yesterday that the winds were around 60 to 65 mph here but after driving around here today, they were probably higher than that. The wind speed on the ground was very high. My neighbor's mailbox stand was pretty solid and it was sheered right off about halfway up. The guy 2 doors down has 5 blue tarps on his roof. The wind blew a wrought iron bench from about 10 feet away against the house. We dodged the worst of it so not too shabby.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a scary evening. Glad you're okay and really glad no one lost their life yesterday. Its a tough time of year for this stuff to happen. Its never a good time, but 3 days before Christmas is crazy. I am guessing that the damage then in Adairsville is all from the same storm and probably the same tornado if it was tornado damage.

MAJOR STRUCTURAL

DAMAGE IN SOUTHERN GORDON COUNTY.

MANY HOMES WITH DAMAGE AND ONE

HOUSE AT LEAST WAS DESTROYED.

Report time 525 PM. I had posted about this storm just before, and we both

mentioned about the circulation. This storm looked to have stronger rotation

than the one that did get a TOR near Peachtree City. Possible tornado.

I guess the reason why this storm "looked" to have stronger rotation than the

other one is because it did. I still can't believe EF-3 though. A Christmas

miracle nobody was killed in either Gordon county or in Rome for that matter

considering a TOR was missing and the SVR called only for winds to 60 mph.

I watched the event carefully as the line had a "broken S-shape" to it near Rome.

To me, it appeared the storm only had a marginal mesocyclone as it moved

though the city. A TOR would have been difficult here, and unfortunate because

it hit a city and was EF-2. As the meso hit the Floyd, Bartow, Gordon border where

they all meet, it became far more pronounced. This was mentioned also by another

member here viewing the same storm. It looked to have powerful straight-line

winds at the 518 EST velocity scan which suggests that the inflow was pouring into a

developing tornado. The tornado touched down a few minutes later at 525 EST.

Around 522 EST was the earliest I could see a TOR being issued for this storm.

It would have only had 3 minutes lead time for the intial touchdown though. Just a

tough situation to have to deal with. Prayers for those who lost a lot right before

the Christmas holiday.

Archived