• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Rumors of snow and angst of the local Meteorologist

wxbrad

Little bit of explaining and little bit of venting here but though you'd like this.

http://wxbrad.blogsp...t-of-local.html

Brad, I certainly think with the last paragraph you're on to something and the fact that the local NBC affiliate (full disclosure I usually watch News 14) lets you do it is a smart move. By getting people more engaged it encourages more viewership and less criticism as people generally are less likely to cause a scene if they feel a personal connection to the person. So in your case I might watch your report and if busts the next day I go, "wow what was he thinking?" so I just come on here or go on Twitter and ask you, you respond and I go on my way with an explanation. However with no connection to you I go on here and pick on you, or go to work and talk about what an idiot you are (and this is coming from someone who empathizes with the weathermen). So now just from me I've negatively encouraged people to dislike you or not trust you and that's the death sentence in TV. So it's a great plan that many weather men should employ since they would probably get much better sympathy amongst the public therefore keeping tenure longer in the industry.

The really sad thing is that many folks live and die by the weather never thinking about a backup plan just in case the weatherman in wrong. In their perception (and blame those ridiculous Super Doppler 40,000 commercials that every affiliate has) since the weather man has expensive tools and millions of dollars at their disposal they shouldn't be wrong. They should be able to trust a person with super computers at their finger tips. Not saying it's right, but perception becomes reality; if you're company is touting how great it's weather predictions are then people assume it is.

BTW someone yelled at you in Harris Teeter? lmaosmiley.gif

Also this in no way excuses the just horrible calls that I've seen the local Fox affiliate make. Still can't get over a storm that happened two years ago and during the middle of it with snow falling at around 30 and a cold front moving through Reg Taylor said that GSO would switch over to rain fever.gif.

Brad, I certainly think with the last paragraph you're on to something and the fact that the local NBC affiliate (full disclosure I usually watch News 14) lets you do it is a smart move. By getting people more engaged it encourages more viewership and less criticism as people generally are less likely to cause a scene if they feel a personal connection to the person. So in your case I might watch your report and if busts the next day I go, "wow what was he thinking?" so I just come on here or go on Twitter and ask you, you respond and I go on my way with an explanation. However with no connection to you I go on here and pick on you, or go to work and talk about what an idiot you are (and this is coming from someone who empathizes with the weathermen). So now just from me I've negatively encouraged people to dislike you or not trust you and that's the death sentence in TV. So it's a great plan that many weather men should employ since they would probably get much better sympathy amongst the public therefore keeping tenure longer in the industry.

The really sad thing is that many folks live and die by the weather never thinking about a backup plan just in case the weatherman in wrong. In their perception (and blame those ridiculous Super Doppler 40,000 commercials that every affiliate has) since the weather man has expensive tools and millions of dollars at their disposal they shouldn't be wrong. They should be able to trust a person with super computers at their finger tips. Not saying it's right, but perception becomes reality; if you're company is touting how great it's weather predictions are then people assume it is.

BTW someone yelled at you in Harris Teeter? lmaosmiley.gif

Also this in no way excuses the just horrible calls that I've seen the local Fox affiliate make. Still can't get over a storm that happened two years ago and during the middle of it with snow falling at around 30 and a cold front moving through Reg Taylor said that GSO would switch over to rain fever.gif.

Good points, yeah I think I agree with you on some of the bad forecasts out here usually I get blamed for those too! LOL (I won't mention names here) That's a problem, but I also understand that my on-air forecasts are just one part of my over all job. While it's great people watch and that generates the most money. In the grand scheme of things I want people to come to me on-line, Social Media or whatever platform fits there schedules best for weather information. The day of waiting until 6&11 for the forecast was soooo 10 years ago.

I should also say too I've always considered myself a meteorologist first and a TV person second, so maybe I'm an odd ball in my industry.

Most of us around here can tell whether the person in a met or not. You sir are met. Also, you do a great job using social media to put out needed info. I retweet you at least five times a day in bad weather situations.

Im outside of your viewing area so I do not get to watch you station. This is WLOS country.

Anyway, thanks for linking your blog post. The SW crew looks forward to you posting as often as you want!!!

Good points, yeah I think I agree with you on some of the bad forecasts out here usually I get blamed for those too! LOL (I won't mention names here) That's a problem, but I also understand that my on-air forecasts are just one part of my over all job. While it's great people watch and that generates the most money. In the grand scheme of things I want people to come to me on-line, Social Media or whatever platform fits there schedules best for weather information. The day of waiting until 6&11 for the forecast was soooo 10 years ago.

I should also say too I've always considered myself a meteorologist first and a TV person second, so maybe I'm an odd ball in my industry.

Well just to clarify I was by no means saying you were only doing it for numbers and viewers. I think it's obvious you''re sincere which is why it will work in your favor (which is just a bonus!). You're right though it's a new generation and people should take advantage of shifts in technology, either way we need more weather men like you thumbsupsmileyanim.gif.

Well just to clarify I was by no means saying you were only doing it for numbers and viewers. I think it's obvious you''re sincere which is why it will work in your favor (which is just a bonus!). You're right though it's a new generation and people should take advantage of shifts in technology, either way we need more weather men like you thumbsupsmileyanim.gif.

No problem I knew what you were saying and thanks!

Archived