amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC metro area winter forecast 2011-2012

NYsnowlover

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, there's a reason fog is called the "snow eater." I recall many a 6-10" snowpack vaporizing in a matter of hours with 40s and fog rolling through. High humidity literally eats away at the beloved snow pack.

The few coastal front events destroyed our snow cover on the south shore. I live very close to the beach, and the temp spiked here probably over 40 a few times and with dews near 40 and even fog from time to time. You could practically see the snow melting, it was happening so fast. I don't think a torrential rain at 35F or so would've done that kind of damage. Just a few miles inland practically over Long Island, the snow held on much better. There was a marked, 6" or more difference probably between here in Long Beach and north of the Southern State. I think one factor that hurts us as well could be the saltiness of the air, so close to the shore and on a barrier island. It's just a lot harder to create any kind of barrier here to marine influences.

The models have been creating phantom troughs in the extended for several weeks now. I'll believe it when I see it.

If one were naive enough to only focus on the OP output, then yes, one would have to believe it to see it. However, if one were to look at the larger scale items and not where the big L's and big H's show up, they would feel differently. :hug:

The few coastal front events destroyed our snow cover on the south shore. I live very close to the beach, and the temp spiked here probably over 40 a few times and with dews near 40 and even fog from time to time. You could practically see the snow melting, it was happening so fast. I don't think a torrential rain at 35F or so would've done that kind of damage. Just a few miles inland practically over Long Island, the snow held on much better. There was a marked, 6" or more difference probably between here in Long Beach and north of the Southern State. I think one factor that hurts us as well could be the saltiness of the air, so close to the shore and on a barrier island. It's just a lot harder to create any kind of barrier here to marine influences.

I have always wondered the same thing in regards to the salt air. It has to at least be a contributing factor. But more likely its just the higher dew points with the marine influence.

By the way have you noticed the lack of plane noise today? They changed the JFK flight plan huge difference here in the east end!

Archived