• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
NWS WFO LMK testing text product format changes

A Change in the Style of Some Products

Effective today, a few of the products the National Weather Service in Louisville issues will come out as normal text, instead of ALL CAPS and ellipses (...). These products include our Area Forecast Discussion (AFDLMK), our Public Information Statement (PNSLMK), and our Regional Weather Summary (RWSLMK). We are one of four offices testing this change, with the eventual goal of having all offices use this format. It is also being tested tomorrow at the Spokane, WA (OTX), Tallahassee, FL (TAE), and Pleasant Hill, MO (EAX) offices.

As an example, here is the top few lines of the early morning Area Forecast Discussion from this office:

FXUS63 KLMK 030845

AFDLMK

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOUISVILLE KY

443 AM EDT MON OCT 03 2011

.Short Term (Today and Tonight)...

With an omega block centered over the continental U.S., dry weather

will continue for today. An upper level low spinning over the New

England States has already begun to push mid level clouds into

southeast Indiana and the Bluegrass region. Expect slow progress

westward with these clouds this afternoon with the best coverage

(partly cloudy) remaining over the Bluegrass and southeast Indiana

regions.

When I read my AFD just now, it surprised me, but it really is much easier to read. Surprised it took so long.

I think I'm just tired of CR dictating NWS policy is all. lol jk. Hope it fails it's testing tho.

The new format though is more proper when typing, however I must say it is easier with all caps especially when you want to get a product out quickly. I wonder if they are using some form of software to convert the text to the new format (or it is actually being typed like that).

The new format though is more proper when typing, however I must say it is easier with all caps especially when you want to get a product out quickly. I wonder if they are using some form of software to convert the text to the new format (or it is actually being typed like that).

I've wondered the same thing and I hope there is some software behind the scenes doing that. Just seems to me if it's not broke, dont fix it. Not sure about your office, but I've heard no complaints from our customers with the all caps. Seems we should be worrying about bigger fish, like aviation grids and enhanced short term.

I've wondered the same thing and I hope there is some software behind the scenes doing that. Just seems to me if it's not broke, dont fix it. Not sure about your office, but I've heard no complaints from our customers with the all caps. Seems we should be worrying about bigger fish, like aviation grids and enhanced short term.

As far as I know of, no complaints to my office from our customers regarding the all caps.

There is no software behind this. The products are being typed in lower case and then transmitted. I can't get into all the details as this is a test. However, it is being conducted to see if there is a real need to have things in all caps. If you want to discuss this further, PM me.

SDF_Wx

Archived