• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Reformatting BUFKIT Data

I am working on a personal programming project to come up with a "best guess" on precipitation type that I can include on the web with my live weather station data. I am going to use live weather station data from my personal weather station and hourly RUC BUFKIT data for the thermal profile aloft. Unfortunately, BUFKIT data fields are dynamic in size, which makes it extremely difficult to read in using traditional FORTRAN format statements. I am thinking that I may have to use a PHP script to pull the data that I need from BUFKIT files and write them to another file that I can that i can easily give to a FORTRAN program.

Example BUFKIT file for reference: ftp://ftp.meteo.psu.edu/pub/bufkit/RUC/00/ruc_woo.buf

Thnaks in advance!

It doesn't have to be FORTRAN, it's just what I am most comfortable with. I don't have that much experience using other languages for this kind of file processing, but somebody knows an easy way to do this in PHP or Ruby then i would be more than open to doing it that way.

FORTRAN is still very much used in our field because it has been optimized for computational efficiency (i.e. weather models lol). I had to take a FORTRAN class and an IDL class as part of my required curriculum. IDL can handle the task above with no issues and in about 2 lines of code, but unfortunately it's not free :(

It doesn't have to be FORTRAN, it's just what I am most comfortable with. I don't have that much experience using other languages for this kind of file processing, but somebody knows an easy way to do this in PHP or Ruby then i would be more than open to doing it that way.

FORTRAN is still very much used in our field because it has been optimized for computational efficiency (i.e. weather models lol). I had to take a FORTRAN class and an IDL class as part of my required curriculum. IDL can handle the task above with no issues and in about 2 lines of code, but unfortunately it's not free :(

I haven't worked with BUFKIT data personally, and I am blocked from the FTP sites at work, but this page below may help if you have some skills with PHP. It is documentation, but there is some good member contributed sample code for different file types and circumstances as well.

If I have time to look at this tonight, I will update (unless someone swoops in with a better answer)...

http://php.net/manual/en/function.file.php

Yeah it would fit better over there, I just went here by default as I have gotten programming help from here before but it was never weather related so I posted it OT.

Can a mod or admin move this to the general WX side so that I do not create double posts? Thanks!

Moved, I was wondering why this as in OT.

Archived