• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
KDAX radar?

ice1972

Weird....didn't know this....of course I know that wind farm well....you can see from pretty far away....so I went back to the radar and looked south of there and sure enough another return is showing up near the Altamont pass....longtime site for wind harvesting.....cool...thanks

So what is the radar picking up? Blade motion?

Weird....didn't know this....of course I know that wind farm well....you can see from pretty far away....so I went back to the radar and looked south of there and sure enough another return is showing up near the Altamont pass....longtime site for wind harvesting.....cool...thanks

So what is the radar picking up? Blade motion?

While there might be some element of the number of targets reflecting back to the radar, a lot of what you see is turbulent air motion through the wind farm.

Would that be similar to how a gust front out ahead of a thunderstorm shows up on radar too?

I was going to say it is sort of similar to that. However, a gust front can contain dust, bugs, etc. that act as reflectors too.

A better example would be interstates. Many radar sites are located along major trucking routes (think I-80) and the turbulence created by the semis actually shows up quite easily on the reflectivity display. These are usually only a few pixels though, because there are far fewer trucks at one point in time than there are wind turbines.

From my experience at DVN I can tell you this interstate feature is almost always present there.

I was going to say it is sort of similar to that. However, a gust front can contain dust, bugs, etc. that act as reflectors too.

A better example would be interstates. Many radar sites are located along major trucking routes (think I-80) and the turbulence created by the semis actually shows up quite easily on the reflectivity display. These are usually only a few pixels though, because there are far fewer trucks at one point in time than there are wind turbines.

From my experience at DVN I can tell you this interstate feature is almost always present there.

Interesting....I-80 runs right by DAX....I went to school in Davis which is right next to it too....I went back and checked the return again and I swear there are little blips on I80, I5, and HWY 113....thanks....learn something new

Sometimes on the LOT radar, there is almost always a return right near the lake front when the radar is in "clear air mode". It's the return off of the down town skyscrapers. And, depending on conditions, the radar will pick up aircraft. It also gets the wind farms that are out SW of the city....

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes on the LOT radar, there is almost always a return right near the lake front when the radar is in "clear air mode". It's the return off of the down town skyscrapers. And, depending on conditions, the radar will pick up aircraft. It also gets the wind farms that are out SW of the city....

Yeah I checked lot radar and can see the wind farm to the sw....

Archived