• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Australia Cool Season Thread

Cool season being relative, with BOM forecasting a high in Darwin of 30º...

Alby and Boomer should have a place for baroclinic action.

Wind warning behind the cold front in Victoria. 50 to 70 k/hr at elevation.

Warning to Sheep Graziers

for the Midlands, Central North and North West Coast forecast districts

Issued at 8:37 pm EST on Saturday 2 July 2011.

Sheep Graziers are warned that rain and fresh northerly winds are expected during Sunday. Areas likely to be affected include parts of the Midlands, Central North and North West Coast forecast districts. There is a high risk of losses of lambs and sheep exposed to these conditions.

The next warning will be issued by 5:00 am EST Sunday.

post-138-0-55909500-1309613231.jpg

Been very cold here in Canberra since early April, came on very fast. Typical overnight temps have been sub zero and frequently the daytime highs have struggled into the mid teens.

I'm looking forward to this upcoming cold front, looks to be a reasonable amount of precipitation in it, something we haven't had much of so far this winter.

I've been scouting some roads locally for a snow chase, found some that head up past 100m and are paved.

Been very cold here in Canberra since early April, came on very fast. Typical overnight temps have been sub zero and frequently the daytime highs have struggled into the mid teens.

I'm looking forward to this upcoming cold front, looks to be a reasonable amount of precipitation in it, something we haven't had much of so far this winter.

I've been scouting some roads locally for a snow chase, found some that head up past 100m and are paved.

Sounds a lot like Houston, except no real hills anywhere close. But a light freeze overnight and daytime temps in the mid-teens (ie, upper 50sF) is semi-common in Winter here.

Austin, TX is 172 meters ASL, but you wouldn't know you were going uphill heading 2 hours West...

We had decent rain overnight here, 20mm from 10pm to 9am. Currently have showers of tiny hail passing through, but still too warm for decent snow coverage in my region. I expect the wind event forecast won't be quite as bad as they are forecasting, I notice they've already downgraded max winds to 45 km/h, which isn't terribly impressive.

Sounds a lot like Houston, except no real hills anywhere close. But a light freeze overnight and daytime temps in the mid-teens (ie, upper 50sF) is semi-common in Winter here.

Austin, TX is 172 meters ASL, but you wouldn't know you were going uphill heading 2 hours West...

I live at around 600m but have "peaks of 1000-1400m within 15km so I can iften see some light coverings of snow, before the sun gets onto it during the day, when conditions are rigth for snow that is.

The continent is regarded as stable, no recorded eruptions in recent history and the Aboriginies were pretty good at documenting big stuff like that through cave paintings etc. I personally think that article is a scare, trying to drum up some research money for someone whose grant is about to run out.

Plenty of dormant and extinct volcanoes in Australia, my grandparents own a house on the side of one with another, much larger peak about 10 km from that. We used to visit a beach that had an old lava flow from this larger volcano.

The north east of New South Wales has a lot of old volcanoes, lava plugs etc. You just have to know what you're looking for.

With regards the front that passed through, it did get windy, 80km/h gusts, which don't really excite me that much, you get worse in a thunderstorm. The snow in my area was very brief and not even worth chasing, roads in that area got rained on before the snow and combined with sub zero temps and wind, I chose not to risk driving.

The next front looks more promising, with lower winds and still a good amount of precip with it. If the freezing temps in the atmosphere come down it should be interesting.

I like the look of the trough that has formed ahead of the front:

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/synoptic_col.shtml

Archived