• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Chimney Rock

buckeyefan1

Since my Daughters wedding is taking the place of our annual vacation to the mountains this year, I have decided to have a long weekend in Chimney Rock. Besides the obvious touristy things to do like the State Park for hiking, mining for gems, or rafting (plan on doing all these things), are there any other places of interest I should visit? Any good/bad restaurants in the area I should be aware of?

I've never been to Chimney Rock and it looks beautiful :sun:

Since my Daughters wedding is taking the place of our annual vacation to the mountains this year, I have decided to have a long weekend in Chimney Rock. Besides the obvious touristy things to do like the State Park for hiking, mining for gems, or rafting (plan on doing all these things), are there any other places of interest I should visit? Any good/bad restaurants in the area I should be aware of?

I've never been to Chimney Rock and it looks beautiful :sun:

Its a nice place, but all I've ever done is take a lazy drive during the afternoons there....never really stopped and ate or shopped. I remember years ago taking the elevator to the top of Hickory Nut Falls, and swimming in Lake Lure. The roads are really curvy and winding there for a few miles, with businesses everywhere, so its easy to overlook something. Asheville and Bat Cave aren't too far away, and A'ville of course is loaded with restaurants and places to see. I'm sure Mtn. Marvel or one of the Asheville guys can recommend something around there. My fave. restaurant in A'ville was always Boston Pizza on Merrimon Ave, but I heard its closed now. You'll probably have fun no matter what you do :)

Too bad you couldn't go when they have the hill climb! I never got to drive there but it was a major event:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Remembering-Chimney-Rock-Hillclimb/120570989977

Here's a guy I race with running Chimney Rock:

amod.jpg

+1

I never got to go but sounded like a fun time. In the fall they used to have a Hillfall as well. get in your wheeled vehicle (car, gocart, tub) and just roll downhill as fast as you could go. Now that would have been fun.

Its a nice place, but all I've ever done is take a lazy drive during the afternoons there....never really stopped and ate or shopped. I remember years ago taking the elevator to the top of Hickory Nut Falls, and swimming in Lake Lure. The roads are really curvy and winding there for a few miles, with businesses everywhere, so its easy to overlook something. Asheville and Bat Cave aren't too far away, and A'ville of course is loaded with restaurants and places to see. I'm sure Mtn. Marvel or one of the Asheville guys can recommend something around there. My fave. restaurant in A'ville was always Boston Pizza on Merrimon Ave, but I heard its closed now. You'll probably have fun no matter what you do :)

Boston Pizza is now Luella's which is pretty good as was the one in between those 2.

As far as Chimney Rock, my memory is carrying my then 5 year old daughter what seemed liked miles on a bunch of trails. She was not in a walking mood that day. The views are pretty though. (... and I enjoyed it despite the dead arms the next day)

The elevator is under renovations, so the only way to the top is to walk . I suppose it couldn't be any worse than the weekend spent in St. Augustine climbing the lighthouse :unsure::lol: They say you can see everything in about 5 hrs, so for me it would be at least an 8 hr day in the park...lol It's hard to do anything here, besides the nearest beach/lake/pond/pool, during the summer and the forecast of 100 deg next week has me wishing for an 85 deg day with a nice breeze and a great view :wub: The pricing for season passes is quite reasonable and good for 18 months, it would be worth it to go back the end of Sept the first of Oct for the fall colors.

Too bad you couldn't go when they have the hill climb! I never got to drive there but it was a major event:

http://www.facebook....mb/120570989977

Here's a guy I race with running Chimney Rock:

That looks like fun :)

Boston Pizza is now Luella's which is pretty good as was the one in between those 2.

As far as Chimney Rock, my memory is carrying my then 5 year old daughter what seemed liked miles on a bunch of trails. She was not in a walking mood that day. The views are pretty though. (... and I enjoyed it despite the dead arms the next day)

:lol: Nice to see we've shared the same experience :hug: My son is 11 and enjoys hiking, so no worries there. My daughter wouldn't have made it half way before she was "done". Her idea of hiking is from the campground area straight to the lake. :lol:

Archived