Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Florida 2011 Spring & Summer Wet Season Part II

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it could just intensify more. Not asking much, just a good ole tropical storm. Arlene do you feel up to the task??:thumbsup:

Well it looks like it will move onshore sometime Saturday Morning, it will be interesting to see if this can become Brett before moving onshore. Either way looks like some very good rain chances the next few days . The long range looks good for continued summer-time storms as well.:thumbsup:

Getting in on some very heavy rain now as some hefty Storms have set up all around North Polk County, Looking at WV loop I see that Upper Level Low is starting to move West. It will be interesting to see if shear will start letting up enough to be able to let 96L at least become a TD or STD.

Getting in on some very heavy rain now as some hefty Storms have set up all around North Polk County, Looking at WV loop I see that Upper Level Low is starting to move West. It will be interesting to see if shear will start letting up enough to be able to let 96L at least become a TD or STD.

Florida is no stranger to STDs.

96L is orange.

Yea, I was surprised to see it go Orange, the Upper low is forecast to keep moving west .It looks like until this thing comes ashore conditions should improve some for development. This thing is in no hurry either so looks like some really havy rain on tap the next couple of days.. :thumbsup:

Let it rain!!!

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAMPA BAY RUSKIN FL

915 AM EDT FRI JUL 8 2011

.DISCUSSION...

DEEP TROPICAL MOISTURE (PW 2.44"VIA 12Z RAOB DATA) CONTINUES TO BE

DRAW NORTH IN THE REGION THIS MORNING ON A MODERATE SOUTHERLY WIND

FLOW. THIS DEEP MOISTURE COMBINED WITH A WEAK AREA OF LOW PRESSURE

OVER THE SOUTH CENTRAL GULF OF MEXICO WITH A TROUGH AXIS EXTENDING

NORTHEAST ACROSS THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE...A DIVERGENT FLOW ALOFT AND

WEAK UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCES WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT HIGH RAIN

CHANCES ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA THE REMAINDER OF TODAY...WITH SOME

ADDITIONAL LOCALLY HEAVY RAINS WHICH MAY CAUSE SOME MINOR FLOODING

OF LOW LYING AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS...ESPECIALLY IN AREAS WHICH

RECEIVED HEAVY RAINFALL YESTERDAY. IN ADDITION TO THE RAIN WINDS

IN THE 25 TO 35 KNOT RANGE JUST OFF THE SURFACE VIA SOUNDING DATA

WILL LIKELY ALLOW FOR SOME STRONG WIND GUSTS IN THE VICINITY OF

ANY THUNDERSTORMS OR HEAVIER SHOWERS DURING THE DAY AS SOME OF

THESE WINDS MIX DOWN TO THE SURFACE. THE CURRENT FORECAST HAS A

GOOD HANDLE ON ALL OF THIS...SO NO MORNING UPDATE REQUIRED AT THIS

TIME.

Added a shade over 3 inches of rain in the old rain gauge the last 2 days. Looks like a return of the normal SB driven storms today.

I had heavy rain on Thursday from T-storms that lasted an hour and a half. Yesterday was the best as MBY got over 8 hours of a steady very light rain / drizzle. It just never stopped! The best kind of precip for all things growing. I actually had puddles beginning to develop near the end and when you get puddles in a lawn from just light rain you know the ground is saturated!

I had heavy rain on Thursday from T-storms that lasted an hour and a half. Yesterday was the best as MBY got over 8 hours of a steady very light rain / drizzle. It just never stopped! The best kind of precip for all things growing. I actually had puddles beginning to develop near the end and when you get puddles in a lawn from just light rain you know the ground is saturated!

It looks like a good week overall for the rain chances. Today should be another good day for you as the storms should end up on the East Coast later in the day. With some good daytime heating today, hopefully some toad strangler storms will be around.:mapstorm:

Added a shade over 3 inches of rain in the old rain gauge the last 2 days. Looks like a return of the normal SB driven storms today.

I still can't get that good toad strangler up here. Just over .80 the last 2 days. The sun is shining today though so instability should be higher. Now if I can get one of those storms to come this way.

I still can't get that good toad strangler up here. Just over .80 the last 2 days. The sun is shining today though so instability should be higher. Now if I can get one of those storms to come this way.

Looks like things starting to pop in the Ocala area. Hopefully your rain gauge will get a workout today.:weight_lift:

laugh.gif

I saw flwx mention this and now ocala. I know what kind of storm you all are referring to ...... the slow heavy dumper that just sits, barely moves, and or trains.

Let this semi recent transplant in on the lingo man ..... TOAD STRANGLER ??? laugh.giflaugh.gif

laugh.gif

I saw flwx mention this and now ocala. I know what kind of storm you all are referring to ...... the slow heavy dumper that just sits, barely moves, and or trains.

Let this semi recent transplant in on the lingo man ..... TOAD STRANGLER ??? laugh.giflaugh.gif

:lol:

Yep, a toad strangler is indeed a t-storm that dumps a whole lot of rain . First time I saw a reference to that was when I first moved down from Chicago and I was reading a AFD out of the Miami office.. I was like WTF?? lol..Up north we used to call them gully washers.:lol:

laugh.gif

I actually first heard the term when I moved to south Florida in the late 80's. I was like you, what the hell is that?

Still didn't get the big one yet but we did get some rain and the grass is growing. Have to cut the grass this morning before it starts again.

I actually first heard the term when I moved to south Florida in the late 80's. I was like you, what the hell is that?

Still didn't get the big one yet but we did get some rain and the grass is growing. Have to cut the grass this morning before it starts again.

I see your getting some pop up storms in your area this morning.. Maybe today will be the day the Toad stranglers come visit.:lol:

Yesterday morning had to be one of the most uncomfortable days I ever had in Florida. At 10AM yesterday it was 81 degrees with 94% humidity and a DP of 78. I really think you could have cut it with a knife. The heat doesn't bother me but man yesterday for the first time in a long time I just had to say wow. About noon some nice storms came through and brought things back to respectability.

Curious to see what happens off the SC coast the next few days.

Archived