• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Strange Clouds and Colors

LithiaWx

I saw lots of sundogs today if thats what your talking about. We even had a halo around the sun for awhile. Sundogs usually proceed a storm especially in winter.

I saw a sundog this evening.I usually see them in the winter or maybe I just never really paid attention any other time.

What is causing these clouds to have this weird color? Looks like a rainbow in a cloud. My pics don't do it justice. Here in Marietta, GA 2 minutes ago.

I assume it has to do with ice crystals but if someone can explain it that would be nice.

This is a circumhorizon arc. One of the most beautiful halos one will ever see. It can only show with the sun is higher than 58º in the sky, hence a spring/summertime halo. The circumzenith arc is it's counterpoint and a little more common.

• 2 weeks later...

What is causing these clouds to have this weird color? Looks like a rainbow in a cloud. My pics don't do it justice. Here in Marietta, GA 2 minutes ago.

I assume it has to do with ice crystals but if someone can explain it that would be nice.

Nice pics. I see them 2 or 3x a year down here. Freaked me out the first time I saw it, lol.

Archived