• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
0z euro

tombo82685

If the phase was a frame or two faster... would the pattern support a storm going up the coast like a nor'easter? Fun for everyone?

I wouldn't say that's the most likely thing. This type of phase supports more of a "hook" type cyclogenesis development and then a northwest retrograde..so somebody is going to get screwed.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't say that's the most likely thing. This type of phase supports more of a "hook" type cyclogenesis development and then a northwest retrograde..so somebody is going to get screwed.

Ah ok thanks. Was this run similar to that 12z run of a few days ago that hit the MA and NE... but skipped PHL-NYC?

If the phase was a frame or two faster... would the pattern support a storm going up the coast like a nor'easter? Fun for everyone?

what i think you also need is the clipper to trend north alittle. Bring that north by 100 miles phl and dc get into accum snows, then phase the energy to give a miller b to nyc north.

Ah ok thanks. Was this run similar to that 12z run of a few days ago that hit the MA and NE... but skipped PHL-NYC?

Similar idea, but weaker with the initial shortwave coming across the international border day 3---so the end result was a slower start and a further east deepening of the surface low itself.

To aid in a visual....0.25" barely gets to Boston and Eastern MA..Rhode Island doesn't get much other than light snow showers which would the case for Long Island as well. The gradient is extremely, extremely tight as a result of the phase and the upper level low.

john, the atlantic looks blah on the euro at day 10, but the pacific looks decent to my eyes, nice ridge out west, and is that a -epo trying to go in alaksa?

john is better at these things, but i would think you would need a more potent shortwave, aka the clipper, and maybe relax the vortex a little....just my 2 cents...

You are absolutely correct.

If you go all the way back to initialization, check out the shortwaves origination. Directly over the north central Pacific in a sparse data ingestion area. I think we still have some changes to go through here.

Your point about the more potent shortwave is very important as well. The 12z Euro from two days ago had that shortwave closed off at H5 over the OH valley. The GFS now has it flat, and the Euro tonight is slightly more robust.

john, the atlantic looks blah on the euro at day 10, but the pacific looks decent to my eyes, nice ridge out west, and is that a -epo trying to go in alaksa?

It's not bad but it probably won't save at least a short period of an unfavorable pattern. The NAO is completely gone and the heights are pumping as a result. I do like the ridge on the west coast and the -EPO at least giving it a shot, but we need that Atlantic to reorganize. It's a long ways out, though, so it's all speculation anyways. This is the first time I've seen the Euro completely erode the -NAO in a few days.

You are absolutely correct.

If you go all the way back to initialization, check out the shortwaves origination. Directly over the north central Pacific in a sparse data ingestion area. I think we still have some changes to go through here.

Your point about the more potent shortwave is very important as well. The 12z Euro from two days ago had that shortwave closed off at H5 over the OH valley. The GFS now has it flat, and the Euro tonight is slightly more robust.

All of that being said, even if all that does occur, the downstream flow is just not there for a big storm system to affect everybody. With the northwest flow at H5 initially, even a strong clipper shortwave and a phase with the vortex would cause a hook type redevelopment which means: a slow development of the CCB (it would develop as the system retrogrades) and the likelihood of a huge screwzone as the storm swings northeast, north, and then is tugged northwest under the ULL.

All of that being said, even if all that does occur, the downstream flow is just not there for a big storm system to affect everybody. With the northwest flow at H5 initially, even a strong clipper shortwave and a phase with the vortex would cause a hook type redevelopment which means: a slow development of the CCB (it would develop as the system retrogrades) and the likelihood of a huge screwzone as the storm swings northeast, north, and then is tugged northwest under the ULL.

Basically, if it does end up phasing the storm could end up as some sort of variant on 12/30/2000; there could be great potential for those immediately under the deformation zone, but the gradient between snow/no snow will be severe, and if it phases too quickly whoever is on the eastern side could have precip issues. It's a very sticky situation, and even if the storm phases, odds do not favor a significant impact on the NY area (although the potential is clearly there).

Archived