• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
High Resolution WSR-88D Radar Data -- Where Can I Find It?

Macintosh

I am absolutely sick of the crappy radar feeds from the NWS local weather sites. The data is always 20 minutes behind, choppy, and missing frames. Sometimes certain frames drop out, or the last few frames in the series run backwards. It's absolute crap and it's not getting any better. Before you tell me it's my computer, it's not. It happens with multiple computers and the latest technology and all Flash/Java updates installed and running fine. It's the NWS radar server and it sucks.

Now, I see more saavy posters providing high res screen captures of radar and I want to know how I can access this. I specifically need the tornado doppler velocities so I can spot rotation. Is there special software, subscriptions, or other sources that you are using to get this high res timely radar data? Any free sources? I am ready to upgrade to something more useful so please let me know what you've got.

Thanks. I'm using your suggestions now. Definately better.

I also found a great app for the iPhone called RadarScope. Costs $10 but it WORKS and is quick to update. Top rated and shows everything I need. It's actually better because I can use the iPhone on the road or in my basement.

Thanks. I'm using your suggestions now. Definately better.

I also found a great app for the iPhone called RadarScope. Costs $10 but it WORKS and is quick to update. Top rated and shows everything I need. It's actually better because I can use the iPhone on the road or in my basement.

They also now have a version out for the mac. http://www.basevelocity.com/RadarScope/

Archived