Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Swarm of Quakes Hit California/Nevada Border

37.39.-119.-117.gif

April 10, 2011

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/04/swarm-of-quakes-reported-along-california-nevada-border.html

A swarm of earthquakes occurred Sunday afternoon on the California-Nevada border.

The strongest quakes, measuring magnitude 4.0 and 4.2, were reported in Hawthorne, Nev., which is about 148 miles east of Sacramento.

There have been more than two dozen smaller quakes in the same general area Sunday afternoon, including in Toms Place and Bodie in California, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

There were no immediate reports of damage in the area.

This swarm is near the Long Valley Caldera isn't it?

it's close (the CA hot area at least) .. maybe on the se edge. the caldera runs right up to mammoth mtn and east i believe.

Like Yellowstone, earthquake swarms in the Long Valley area are common and usually do little but to annoy residents and scare tourists. Sometimes they can cause damage but while they are related to the vulcanism in the area, they are usually not precursors to something far worse.

Steve

No one in their right mind would wish for the Yellowstone or Long calderas to blow!

You're forgetting the audience of this board.

Anyway the human race will come to an end soon, I don't want it to be because of some stupid self induce war over oil or some imaginary gods. I'd rather it be a mother****ing supervalcono!!

You're forgetting the audience of this board.

Anyway the human race will come to an end soon, I don't want it to be because of some stupid self induce war over oil or some imaginary gods. I'd rather it be a mother****ing supervalcono!!

If the world has to end - I want it to be because of a super mondo uber Ice Age with about 50000 feet of snow and -200 degree vodka cold. Great way to finish my life - walking in deep powder snow in record cold weather - Everything would be right in the world at last - More than enough snow to shovel and decent cold weather - THAT is the way I'd like to go out - In an Ice Age - The Jebman Glacial of the 2000s.

Archived