Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
West Pacific Tropical Action 2011

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The monsoon trough is active due to the MJO and a Kelvin wave moving eastward from the Maritime Continent could be the trigger for the first TC of the year in the West Pac.

Join kush, aslkahuna and me discussing the West Pacific here through the season.

Images? I like to watch.

WPAC averages about 1 warned system every two years in March with a typhoon about once in every 5 years. In April, the WPAC averages 0.8 warned systems and 0.4 Typhoons.

Steve

Interestingly, I got an email last week that showed 80% of calendar years have had a TC prior to today's date. However, there are some big years that were late starters, such as 1964 and 1966, so all hope is not lost for kush.

As far as the WPAC potential goes, the area highlighted yesterday is now Invest 95W. It's going to be a race between development and interaction with a mid-latitude trough over the weekend.

Interestingly, I got an email last week that showed 80% of calendar years have had a TC prior to today's date. However, there are some big years that were late starters, such as 1964 and 1966, so all hope is not lost for kush.

As far as the WPAC potential goes, the area highlighted yesterday is now Invest 95W. It's going to be a race between development and interaction with a mid-latitude trough over the weekend.

That may be but the TC prior to March 31st in any given year is most likely to have occurred in January or late March since January has the same averages as March and between the two we have more than 1 TC on average per year. February is the low point of the year.

Steve

oh come on!! i was contemplating on making this thread today!...:thumbsdown:

kidding!

that invest has been on the models for about a week now, and also piers corbyn made a "forecast" about a ts hitting the philippines during this period... obviously it doesn't look that interesting at the moment...

Back in the days when JTWC was at Guam and also the warning agency for the Pacific and we had aircraft flying recon, I seriously doubt that either one of these two systems would have made it even to the Formation Alert stage.

Steve

Yeah, they were both complete garbage.

In other news, 97W is in the extreme southern South China Sea, but it looks like shear will prohibit development. Nothing else is on the radar screen for the next week.

Back in the days when JTWC was at Guam and also the warning agency for the Pacific and we had aircraft flying recon, I seriously doubt that either one of these two systems would have made it even to the Formation Alert stage.

Steve

speaking of recon... do you think they will have that ITOP again this year?? that was really helpful especially during STY Megi...:)

• 4 weeks later...

If it even gets onshore. Tricky forecast nearly parallel to the coast.

Actually storm tracks east and nearly parallel to the coast in the Philippines can result in some industrial grade rainfall due to the intensification of the SW flow feeding into the storm across the islands

Steve

Actually storm tracks east and nearly parallel to the coast in the Philippines can result in some industrial grade rainfall due to the intensification of the SW flow feeding into the storm across the islands

Steve

Yeah, that's a good point, Steve. I'd imagine the topography of Luzon enhances that effect.

Models trended left and weaker overnight with 93W. Won't be much more than a rain event for the Philippines. The GFS is putting down 8"+ across the central islands, with 2-4" expected across the mountains of Luzon.

Archived