• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
First Color of the Season

Kind of nice that the last images of winter are of the first crocus blooms in my backyard. Always great to get that first color after a long, cold, grey and white winter.

First image, early morning and the blooms are just up and still curled up tightly.

Second image, late afternoon and a stamen shot.

Third image, late afternoon again and a petal shot. I am still learning how to use the flash properly and still making a mess of things. The blowout hot-spot on the back petal bothers me to no end but I do not have an editor with all the bells and whistles to recover highlights so you get it as it came out of the camera.

Great pictures, very fine focus. We have a few purple crocus blooming in our backyard and they are gorgeous. I actually like the flash spot as it really highlights the vivid colors of the flower and the intricate patterns of white and purple that form the petals.

Thanks. I do like taking the flash off-axis and being able to illuminate the inside of the flower to get all the detail. If only crocus were not so low to the ground. Laying on the cool ground and controting myself to get to the viewfinder with the camera suspended upside down between the tripod legs gives one a serious crick in the neck.

Very nice bow.

No color yet here except the coating of snow this am :)

Won't be long for you. I am sure the ground temps are on the way up there, even with the snow.

This is a seedpod of a lilly/daffodil that is coming up in the middle of the grass of the bank next door. I do believe this is the first decent combo strobe/natural light shot I have done to date. The strobe is just out of frame bottom center and the slight diffuse sunshine is from the upper left corner. I do like the balance of the harsher strobe and the warmer sunlight, especially on the *bulb* at the base of the petals. Always a good day when one shot comes out making you smile.

Archived