• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
ND/SD/Western MN Blizzard March 11-12, 2011

You are close--NWS has your on the edge of the advisory--if you get even an inch of snow you may be upgraded.

It's getting bad here too with low visibilities...i see ABR upgraded alot of their cwa to a blizzard warning so it won't take much snow with the strong winds to get blizzard conditions here.

Just incredible conditions up here. In the span of a few hours, a foot high drift has built up on my driveway. Incredible!

Visibility is an absolute joke. Zero out of town. This is why I LOVE Manitoba

It is quite a storm--these systems that rapidly intensify are always highly efficient wind machines.

Just incredible conditions up here. In the span of a few hours, a foot high drift has built up on my driveway. Incredible!

Visibility is an absolute joke. Zero out of town. This is why I LOVE Manitoba

That sounds awesome, I'm jealous of your arctic fronts and prairie blizzards...how much snowfall do you average per year there? What is your current snow depth?

BTW thanks to Baroclinic Instability for the explanations. This seems to be an unusual shortwave in terms of its placement and intensity, not too often you see one of these creating blizzard conditions instead of your typical arctic front passage.

That sounds awesome, I'm jealous of your arctic fronts and prairie blizzards...how much snowfall do you average per year there? What is your current snow depth?

BTW thanks to Baroclinic Instability for the explanations. This seems to be an unusual shortwave in terms of its placement and intensity, not too often you see one of these creating blizzard conditions instead of your typical arctic front passage.

Yeah no prob nzucker. It definitely is unusual in its config--but the results and widespread ground blizzard type conditions aren't. I agree--the northern plains have a huge advantage when it comes to blizzards with the flat, treeless plains conducive to significant blowing and drifting even with only an inch or two of snow on the ground.

Yeah no prob nzucker. It definitely is unusual in its config--but the results and widespread ground blizzard type conditions aren't. I agree--the northern plains have a huge advantage when it comes to blizzards with the flat, treeless plains conducive to significant blowing and drifting even with only an inch or two of snow on the ground.

Yeah, the conditions got very intense here during the Boxing Day Blizzard that dumped 20" in NYC, but you never get the same unsheltered feeling as you would during a Plains blizzard since you can always duck into a forested area to find some relief, and the constant trees and hillsides reduces the drifting aspect of the storm significantly, although it was still quite hard to measure the 12/26 snowfall. We had 65mph winds at the height of the Nor'easter with +SN, 2-3"/hr rates, temp at 17.5F. That was probably the most intense storm I've experienced on the East Coast, as well as the 2/14/2007 storm in Middlebury, VT. Both were historic in their own right.

I am coming out to the Midwest in early April and looking to chase blizzards. Do you think the pattern might support a late-season event in the Minnesota/ND area? What are your thoughts for getting another snowfall here in the northern suburbs of NYC, any chance for a March snow? Things are looking bleak right now down here but I'm sure you've got plenty of winter left.

Does anybody have storm totals for this event, I know for some its still going on but it seems to be steadily weakening now.

Looks like a decent event though for late winter for you guys in the northern plains.

Does anybody have storm totals for this event, I know for some its still going on but it seems to be steadily weakening now.

Looks like a decent event though for late winter for you guys in the northern plains.

I've read 2 - 4" in ND & n MN and wind gusts 60+...here's a few wind gusts reported in my area.

LOCATION           	PEAK GUST     	TIME OF PEAK GUST
------------------------------------------------------------
MORRIS                  56 MPH                  11 PM
HUTCHINSON              55 MPH               	1 AM
APPLETON                54 MPH                  11 PM
GRANITE FALLS       	54 MPH               	9 PM
ALEXANDRIA              53 MPH                  10 PM
CANBY               	53 MPH                  10 PM
MADISON             	53 MPH               	9 PM
BENSON                  52 MPH                  11 PM
ST JAMES                52 MPH                  12 AM
GLENCOE             	51 MPH               	4 AM
PAYNESVILLE         	51 MPH                  12 AM
WILLMAR             	51 MPH               	3 AM

I've read 2 - 4" in ND & n MN and wind gusts 60+...here's a few wind gusts reported in my area.

LOCATION       		PEAK GUST 		TIME OF PEAK GUST
------------------------------------------------------------
MORRIS                  56 MPH                  11 PM
HUTCHINSON              55 MPH           		1 AM
APPLETON                54 MPH                  11 PM
GRANITE FALLS   		54 MPH           		9 PM
ALEXANDRIA              53 MPH                  10 PM
CANBY           		53 MPH                  10 PM
MADISON         		53 MPH           		9 PM
BENSON                  52 MPH                  11 PM
ST JAMES                52 MPH                  12 AM
GLENCOE         		51 MPH           		4 AM
PAYNESVILLE     		51 MPH                  12 AM
WILLMAR         		51 MPH           		3 AM

How did it turn out for you--much blowing? Was it worth the blizzard warning upgrade?

Wow nice! That is some pretty impressive ground blizzaction. You can even see the sun trying to peak through it. That looks like a classic ground blizzard.

it was awesome early this morning...guessing we had 1/2 inch of new snow overnight and thats whats blowing around as i thought there was a good cap to the snow prior to the storm.

People just don't listen. Excerpts from the Grand Forks Herald. More than 800 stranded in ND!

"BISMARCK — Rescue workers used military trucks and other heavy vehicles to pluck motorists from more than 500 vehicles abandoned along ice-slicked roads and in drifting snow throughout North Dakota and take them to churches, schools, bars and gas stations that became makeshift shelters.

About 800 people were rescued starting Friday afternoon, and most remained at shelters Saturday as highways remained closed. North Dakota National Guard spokesman Capt. Dan Murphy said the rescue mission ended Saturday morning but soldiers were still on duty, patrolling highway entrances."

"A pregnant woman who went into labor Friday night on Interstate 94 was rescued near Steel and taken to a shelter in the town, about 40 miles east of the nearest hospital in Bismarck, Skogen said

"There was no way to get her in to Bismarck," Skogen said. "You name it, we had all kinds of situations playing out."

The pregnant woman was being cared for at an ambulance station in Steele and had not yet given birth Saturday morning, said Mona Thompson, director of the Kidder County ambulance service.

The Department of Transportation closed Interstate 94 between Valley City and Fargo and Interstate 29 from the Canadian border to the South Dakota border. Highway 83 was closed between Minot and the South Dakota border, and U.S. Highway 2 was closed from Grand Forks to Devils Lake.

Todd Hamilton, a National Weather Service meteorologist in Bismarck, said only 2 to 4 inches of snow fell in most parts of the state Friday but the strong winds that came with the storm made conditions bad. The storm had largely moved out of North Dakota by early Saturday morning but below-freezing temperatures remained, he said.

Jim Albrecht, the emergency manager in Stutsman County, said about 600 people were still taking shelter in Medina and other small towns there. He said he couldn't remember a worse storm in a state known for nasty winter weather. The storm created a white-out from the get-go, and people became stuck immediately.

"It's been a long time since we had a storm like this that hit us so hard and so fast," he said."

Archived