• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Miscellaneous Weather Job Stuff

Hey on a side a note...do you live there at times? There's a job opening I might consider there. How long until you go absolutely stir-crazy?

At the Key West NWS office? I've driven past it several times and never even noticed it. They might be the most laid back office... I see them reference local events and use emoticons in their AFD's sometimes.

I spent a month on Key West last year and will be there for five weeks this year-- I don't think it's possible to ever go stir-crazy. The amount of food/bars/entertainment/odd events/recreation packed onto that 1.5x4 mile island is insane.

If you have a low tolerance for tourists, or end up further up the island chain on Big Pine Key or Marathon, yeah then you might lose your mind.

I love 84 degree nights with 78 degree dewpoints.

Weirs Beach

I have a jobs in meteorology question. I'm a freshman at Ohio State majoring in meteorology and was wondering if anyone could offer some specific examples as to what kind of "private sector" jobs there are in meteorology. Broadcast is an option for me, but it's not extremely stable and I feel like for a lot of cases people who are extremely passionate like me don't go on TV. I'm not ruling out the NWS but I don't love the idea right now. People have often told me there are private sector jobs but I was wondering exactly what those include? (besides the obvious like Accuwx)

Thanks in advance!!

At the Key West NWS office? I've driven past it several times and never even noticed it. They might be the most laid back office... I see them reference local events and use emoticons in their AFD's sometimes.

I spent a month on Key West last year and will be there for five weeks this year-- I don't think it's possible to ever go stir-crazy. The amount of food/bars/entertainment/odd events/recreation packed onto that 1.5x4 mile island is insane.

If you have a low tolerance for tourists, or end up further up the island chain on Big Pine Key or Marathon, yeah then you might lose your mind.

Weirs Beach

Yeah at the NWS office. I'm about ready for my laid back office payback. I know the MIC, which may help. Idk...seems kinda small there and the transient tourist thing might bug me. But on the otherhand...it's pretty, probably plenty of snorkling, and a good jumping off point to the Caribbean. The weather seems dreadfully boring and I can see why they spice up their AFDs. Hmmm....I have a rather large non-grown up side, it could be the perfect fit.

Thanks for the info!

I have a jobs in meteorology question. I'm a freshman at Ohio State majoring in meteorology and was wondering if anyone could offer some specific examples as to what kind of "private sector" jobs there are in meteorology. Broadcast is an option for me, but it's not extremely stable and I feel like for a lot of cases people who are extremely passionate like me don't go on TV. I'm not ruling out the NWS but I don't love the idea right now. People have often told me there are private sector jobs but I was wondering exactly what those include? (besides the obvious like Accuwx)

Thanks in advance!!

Road transportation weather is big these days. Check out companies like Meridian Environmental Technology for an example (http://www.meridian-enviro.com/). State departments of Transportation also hire in-house mets to forecast for maintenance managers. Another option is to weather observe since the FAA contracts those positions out. They are very high paying for the work you do--but they aren't necessarily the most challenging jobs.

Road transportation weather is big these days. Check out companies like Meridian Environmental Technology for an example (http://www.meridian-enviro.com/). State departments of Transportation also hire in-house mets to forecast for maintenance managers. Another option is to weather observe since the FAA contracts those positions out. They are very high paying for the work you do--but they aren't necessarily the most challenging jobs.

Alright, thanks for some ideas. I obviously won't be getting into the job field for a few years, but I've been trying to think ahead for possible positions and if I'll need to take other non-met courses to supplement. (like computer programming or extra math.) Appreciate the reply! :)

Thanks in advance!!

I'm a sailor - i do a lot of coastal and offshore sailboat racing.

there are a number of outfits that specialize in producing marine weather forecasts for racing and cruising sailors..., and probably for big ocean liners, and freighters as well.

one of the best known firms on the east coast is Commanders Weather: My linkhttp://www.commandersweather.com/

another one is Sailflow, they are better known by their two biggest websites: http://www.iwindsurf.com/, and http://www.ikitesurf.com/

most of their customers are windsurfers, and kitesurfers - i have been a customer for over 15 years. what's interesting about them, is that they maintain what is almost certainly the best anemometer network in the united states. one of the things they are selling, is access to real-time wind data from their sites, which are located as close to the sailing locations as possible.

sailflow is also running their own version of the RAMS model, and i think they are using the data from their sites to initialize the model,, and to verify the model forecasts.

Thanks in advance!!

Unless you really want to go into broadcast go ahead and rule that out. In order to break into broadcast you have to love it and really work at it. It is very unstable, the pay starts out insanely low and the hours and holidays are terrible no matter which shift you are on. I got a double degree in Atmospheric Science and Mass Communication. I did that so that I could have more job options when I graduated and I fully intended to go into broadcast. After graduating, I worked at a TV station behind the scenes for a year. It's a great station, number one in the ratings but all 4 meteorologist there advised me not to go into broadcast. They said if they were me and had the option to pick another avenue they would.

In hindsight, I should have made my goal to work for the NWS. They have the best benefits and pay (although I didn't look into the private sector very much). If you can deal with shift work it seems like a great gig. I volunteered at a NWS office for a year and had a great time. It was actually a refreshing change after working at the TV station.

I'm a sailor - i do a lot of coastal and offshore sailboat racing.

there are a number of outfits that specialize in producing marine weather forecasts for racing and cruising sailors..., and probably for big ocean liners, and freighters as well.

one of the best known firms on the east coast is Commanders Weather: My linkhttp://www.commandersweather.com/

another one is Sailflow, they are better known by their two biggest websites: http://www.iwindsurf.com/, and http://www.ikitesurf.com/

most of their customers are windsurfers, and kitesurfers - i have been a customer for over 15 years. what's interesting about them, is that they maintain what is almost certainly the best anemometer network in the united states. one of the things they are selling, is access to real-time wind data from their sites, which are located as close to the sailing locations as possible.

sailflow is also running their own version of the RAMS model, and i think they are using the data from their sites to initialize the model,, and to verify the model forecasts.

I certainly don't think I'd pay for those (wind) services though, MAYBE if I kite surfed, but you can get the same basic info for free and in real time via other sources.

Thanks in advance!!

http://www.weatherknowledge.com/become.html

Not to mention that the waters around the Florida Keys has one of the highest incidence of waterspouts in the World.

Steve

Archived