• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb days 70+ (and 60+!) at DCA/BWI/IAD and DJF totals by year

Ian

I guess it is worth mentioning that after the Feb 76 heat wave, there was a decent snowstorm on March 9. I know Baltimore got about a half foot with more in the northern suburbs. Not sure how DC did with it but I think it was more of a mix there.

A couple of wet, sloppy inches. The only snow I remember from that winter, which was my first in DC.

You should compare the number of 60+ days in DJF to the number of days with measurable snow, or better yet, the number of days with 1"+.

A lot of us will not like the results but it will put our climo in perspective.

we actually have had very few 60+, they've all just ended up on the high end of that. i can try to do that tho to see. i think analoging qpf and where/how it comes together is much more difficult than temps at least on any specific basis.

we actually have had very few 60+, they've all just ended up on the high end of that. i can try to do that tho to see. i think analoging qpf and where/how it comes together is much more difficult than temps at least on any specific basis.

I quickly skimmed through your table and found that all the airports average 8-10 days of 60+ in DJF, in the last 30 years.

day 3 70+ at DCA.. now into more rarified air. this is one of the shortest time-spans (5 days) we've ever seen 3 70+ at DC in Feb.

Only other similar 70+ Feb stretches: 1976-77, 4 70+ in 5 days; 1942-43, 3 70+ in 5 days; 1873-74 (way back) 3 70+ in a row.

day 3 70+ at DCA.. now into more rarified air. this is one of the shortest time-spans (5 days) we've ever seen 3 70+ at DC in Feb.

Only other similar 70+ Feb stretches: 1976-77, 4 70+ in 5 days; 1942-43, 3 70+ in 5 days; 1873-74 (way back) 3 70+ in a row.

matt ross (zwyts) pointed out 75-76 which i noted holding the record for FEB prior but categorized differently in this grouping for some reason -- when i looked last night i went from start to finish of all 70s to see the overall number, but 75-76 had two 3-day stretches 70+, one mid-month and another in a 4 of 5 days to finish the month.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived