joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Al Gore explains "snowmageddon"

tcutter

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Error bars be damned, the original presentation of the Hockey Stick Graph was very misleading. It made it appear as if there was no MWP, and little fluctuation in temperature until the past 100 years.

When it's published in a scientific journal as it originally was, I don't find that misleading because the audience understands what error bars mean. When it is presented to the general public without a good explanation I would agree that is a bit misleading.

.........until we find out that we mis-calculated..........

In my view, we should probably be taking the actions that would reduce climate change for other reasons....We need to drive/fly less, eat a more plant-based diet, reduce our dependence on global shipping and long-distance markets not just because of the dangers of anthropogenic warming, but also because we're simply running out of fossil fuels and urban air pollution is costing many lives due to asthma, lung cancer, reduced heart function, etc. Although I don't believe in spending billions of dollars to cut carbon emissions, I do applaud Obama for increasing vehicle efficiency requirements to 35mpg for passenger cars by 2016, and I personally buy most of my food from organic and local sources. We also have many ways our society could slash energy consumption that would hardly do us any harm in terms of the convenience of our lifestyles: I'm talking about retrofitting our buildings with better insulation and double-paned windows, turning off lights in offices during the nighttime, adjusting thermostats by 1-2F during the winter heating season and summer cooling season, etc. There's just no justification for not taking action NOW regardless of whether you believe CO2 is going to be the planet's doom or not.

In my view, we should probably be taking the actions that would reduce climate change for other reasons....We need to drive/fly less, eat a more plant-based diet, reduce our dependence on global shipping and long-distance markets not just because of the dangers of anthropogenic warming, but also because we're simply running out of fossil fuels and urban air pollution is costing many lives due to asthma, lung cancer, reduced heart function, etc. Although I don't believe in spending billions of dollars to cut carbon emissions, I do applaud Obama for increasing vehicle efficiency requirements to 35mpg for passenger cars by 2016, and I personally buy most of my food from organic and local sources. We also have many ways our society could slash energy consumption that would hardly do us any harm in terms of the convenience of our lifestyles: I'm talking about retrofitting our buildings with better insulation and double-paned windows, turning off lights in offices during the nighttime, adjusting thermostats by 1-2F during the winter heating season and summer cooling season, etc. There's just no justification for not taking action NOW regardless of whether you believe CO2 is going to be the planet's doom or not.

agree 100%.

:thumbsup:

Archived