• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thundersnow

NickD2011

I have not seen it in years. You know your in for heavy snow when it happens. There were several meso cyclones on radar during the last storm.

I thought thundersnow was supposed to be rare. I saw it 3 times this winter: December 26, January 5, and yesterday. Prior to this I only saw thundersnow on February 26, 2010, and PDII.

It's funny to see people react to thundersnow as the end of the world.

I recall hearing thundersnow when I was 15, during the Feb 1977 blizzard - grew up in South Jersey (15 miles SSE of Philly) - and thought it was very cool. The only other time I remember hearing thundersnow was Jan 1996. Pretty sure I never heard it for any other storm, which always bummed me out, as there were tons of reports of thundersnow, especially with the March 1993 storm and many of the big storms of the past 10 years.

However, nothing comes close to what I experienced Wednesday evening. At about 6:45 pm, my 16-year old son and I went to Jose Tejas, a Mexican restaurant for dinner; I love going out to eat in the middle of snowstorms for some odd reason - just like being out in the elements, I guess, although we usually walk the 1/2 mile into downtown Metuchen rather than driving, but for this storm, conditions weren't bad yet when we left at 7 pm, as we had freezing rain falling moderately, but temps were about 31F and roads were still fine. During dinner, seated by their huge windows, we could see the rain change to sleet (went outside to verify, of course, lol) and it started pouring sleet. After dinner, during the drive home, at about 8:00 pm, while we were on 287 in Edison, in the midst of the heaviest sleet storm I've ever seen, we heard a huge clap of thunder and saw a brilliant flash of lightning right over head in front of us and immediately afterwards we heard the incredibly loud clap of THUNDERSLEET!!!! First time I ever got to see the lightning and hear the thunder together It was awe-inspiring. In fact, it was so cool that rather than take our exit for home a minute later, we drove around for another 20 minutes hoping to see a repeat performance. By then conditions started getting really bad on even the highways, so we finally went home.

Archived