12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Hampton Roads Obs/Disco

Martin

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's looking like the big hook out to the East is going to spare us from the brunt of the rain and wind

Not really. HPC going with 10in for the SE coast. Wind field is so huge that while we won't get the max winds it still will be significant considering the duration

Got back from beach earlier. Waves going over railing of VA Beach Fishing Pier a couple hours ago. Crazy stuff. BTW, Sandy looks to have begun the turn towards the north and in doing so the line of heavier rain moved right over me here in North Chesapeake and the rain began coming down hard and wind has REALLY picked up. Trees rocking baby! Check out the band off the VA BEACH coast. That will be the one to put the power out if it holds together in a lot of places!

http://radar.weather...101111&loop=yes

EDIT: Forgot to add that I am drinking some NIIIICCCEEEE Scotch right now!

Band still incoming, if it makes it here should be some good winds.

Precip line is fading back east now.

Got back from beach earlier. Waves going over railing of VA Beach Fishing Pier a couple hours ago. Crazy stuff. BTW, Sandy looks to have begun the turn towards the north and in doing so the line of heavier rain moved right over me here in North Chesapeake and the rain began coming down hard and wind has REALLY picked up. Trees rocking baby! Check out the band off the VA BEACH coast. That will be the one to put the power out if it holds together in a lot of places!

http://radar.weather...101111&loop=yes

EDIT: Forgot to add that I am drinking some NIIIICCCEEEE Scotch right now!

I posted in the main obs thread but just to add here -- we've had nothing of any significance with regards to wind and/or rain. Weather Underground only gives us 0.5" expected rain today so I'm thinking we're just far enough outside the storm to avoid anything serious.

Lol. Based off the current radar, that band coming on shore might be able to drop a quick .5-1" across the area.

We have had .75" since midnight. So things might start ramping up with respect to the rain in a few hours.

Is anyone in Hampton Roads getting the hurricane-force winds they're supposed to be getting according to the latest projected wind map? I totally forgot we were even having a storm until I looked at it.

I don't understand how they are making that map. I'm sustained at around 30-36. Gusts aren't too bad in the lower 40s. Winds certainly are some the highest sustained that I have seen for this event.

wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KVANORFO13

Martin and others: just curious, how many of you would be in favor of going back to the old Central/SE VA combined thread format for this winter? I know our climo's usually end up being quite different but I must admit that I enjoyed the company of all of you when we had it set up the previous way. We don't have rainstorm here to drag down discussion anymore so I think things could work out well. I for one am tired of seeing the RIC thread attract 10 pages worth of posts throughout an entire season.

I could also throw SW VA into the mix, as Huff usually provides great discussion and we have a few others living in that area. Just something to think about; let me know if you have a strong opinion one way or the other.

Martin and others: just curious, how many of you would be in favor of going back to the old Central/SE VA combined thread format for this winter? I know our climo's usually end up being quite different but I must admit that I enjoyed the company of all of you when we had it set up the previous way. We don't have rainstorm here to drag down discussion anymore so I think things could work out well. I for one am tired of seeing the RIC thread attract 10 pages worth of posts throughout an entire season.

I could also throw SW VA into the mix, as Huff usually provides great discussion and we have a few others living in that area. Just something to think about; let me know if you have a strong opinion one way or the other.

Let's do it

Archived