-
Posts
14,486 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Blogs
Forums
American Weather
Media Demo
Store
Gallery
Everything posted by Powerball
-
It'll probably dive more SE when it crosses Lake Michigan. We'll have better luck with whatever activity pops up in Northern / Central WI.
-
Their leaders are finally admitting what those protests in Michigan with the confederate flags were all about... Michigan Commissioner Blames Black People For Virus, Uses N-Word "When asked by a colleague why he wasn’t wearing a mask before the meeting on Tuesday, Leelanau County road commissioner Tom Eckerle said “well this whole thing is because of them (racial slur) down in Detroit,"
-
Well, it is exurban Georgia...
-
Found this on Reddit about United Shore. It's extremely detailed, but take it FWIW: "I went there for a summer internship position, and for orientation they sat 100 interns in their small gym less than 6 feet away from each other, with only small plastic barriers barely separating us. They only separated the tables between us, so if we turned either way, we were still fully exposed to our other interns. Masks were completely optional, and I was one for 3 interns wearing a mask. We were sat in that room for 9 hours, only being let out for an hour at lunch, and 15 minute breaks ever hour or two. I quit after my first day there, anyone with a brain could see that it was only a matter of time before there was an outbreak here. Walking around the facility, there were hundreds of employees in the dogpits, sitting less than 6 feet away from each other and not wearing masks, some desks didn’t even have the plastic dividers. During lunch, their cafeteria was fully open with no seating restrictions at all, everyone was sat close to one another. There was no reason that their employees needed to be back in office. No reason. The only employees who needed to be there were sysadmins and maintenance. Everyone else could have been working remotely. This was a ridiculous display of ignorance on the company’s part. They put their employees lives at risk, when they so heavily proclaim that their “company is one big family”. No one deserves to get this virus, it’s terrible and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. In my resignation from my internship position, I made clear my worries about their coronavirus measures, and they ignored it. I wish the employees there the best, but this was completely avoidable had the company just had some common sense."
-
In Michigan, after the company forced workers back into the office... 53 coronavirus cases linked to mortgage company United Shore
-
Georgia Students Suspended for Sharing Viral Pictures of Packed School Hallway
-
Welp... One man with coronavirus attending Ohio church service led to infection of 91 others
-
The spread of covid-19 in the South shows the risks of anti-intellectualism
-
Welp, Georgia is officially worse than Mississippi... Gov. Reeves issues statewide mask mandate
-
This is hilarious...
-
Should add, there's also the national security aspect too with protecting the aerospace industry. Many of the companies that support Commercial Aerospace also support the Military. However, military expenditures often exceed their costs and depending on the contract, the government doesn't reimburse companies for these costs until the product is delivered. In the mean time, they're having to spend a ton of their own money on equipment, material and labor upfront. The commercial side of the industry is what many of the major aerospace companies supplying the US government rely on to fund their expenditures, and if they're not bringing in the money to fund those expenditures, then they can't afford to deliver products to the government (thus creating a security risk).
-
Agreed 100% with the bolded. As far as the first paragraph, Americans have voted for the type of government that has allowed for consolidation and monopolization since the 70s. So collectively as a nation, we're getting what we deserve as the chickens come home to roost. The only way to change the situation is for Americans to vote for the type of government that is willing to change the system, and they've proven yet again they're not willing to do so.
-
The issue you run into there is with the "too big to fail" companies. Philosophically, I agree that companies such as Delta, American and United don't deserve a bailout. But I also don't think the solution is to let them collapse and potentially put millions of jobs at risk, in addition to harming country's transportation infrastructure. At least with the route we went, *SOME* jobs will be saved and the infrastructure in place will remain relatively in tact. If done right, bailouts can work. See the auto industry for example.
-
The bolded is scary.
-
Good luck with that.
-
As bad as that take was, I'd say the recommendation to inject Lysol into your veins has it beat.
-
BuT tHe ThE vIrUs WiLl JuSt DiSaPpEaR iN tHe HeAt!!!
-
Delta has gone as far as to have passengers who claim they have medical conditions see their company doctors for a physical before granting them entry onto their planes. As far as grocery stores, my understanding is that technically you still don't have to let folks in without a mask as long as you provide "reasonable accomodations" (such as employees doing the shopping on their behalf). This is what some Trader Joe's locations have been doing. I definitely see more businesses resorting to these types of measures.
-
Welp, can't go to the Bahamas now... Bahamas closes borders to U.S. tourists after COVID-19 cases spike; others still welcome We (the United States) have become the world's ghetto.
-
I'm as progressive and pro-labor as they come, but I'm also a business major and have worked in the private sector. You are 100% correct about Ford. To add, when Henry Ford was offering $5 / day, it wasn't out of altruism. It was to poach workers from other local automakers (I.E. Packard, Hudson, GM, etc.) he had to compete with. And it helped that he didn't have to offer fringe benefits such as health insurance and retirement benefits as well. That being said, I think the point is still being missed. The issue is many folks are having a philosophical debate about whether the economy and individual liberties should take priority over protecting the health of the general public, instead of a realistic debate about how we should be stopping the spread of the virus.
-
Then I suggest you look up the Supreme Court case Jacobsen vs. Massachusetts (1905).
-
That's almost as ridiculous as the lieutenant Gov. in Texas saying Grandma should sacrifice herself for young people.
-
You're entitled to rant. I stand by what I said. 1. I find it very hard to feel sorry for folks who still enthusiastically support an administration who's acting their best interest. Things 2. These protesters interjected race into this when they were proudly waving a symbolism of racism/slavery (with not a single POC around, I might add). 3. They're acting selfishly by punishing everyone else with the defiance of the governor's order for their poor decisions (whether in terms of voting or choices for making a living). EDIT: Also, you complain about socialism, which is ironic because assuming the kindest of reasons, these people are upset because they're unable to support themselves. Yet, a stronger social safety net, such as the one across the border in Canada, would have given these folks the support they need to weather this crisis. Thus, we wouldn't have to be choosing between hundreds of thousands people dying from the plague or people suffering from an economic collapse. Yet, they voted otherwise and now here we are...
-
While we're still on the subject of the stimulus checks, yesterday the IRS launched a website where you can provide your direct deposit information and track its status: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/politics/get-my-payment-stimulus-checks-irs/index.html https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment
-
When I see individuals like these protesters blocking ambulances and flying confederate flags (knowing darn well the implication behind it), their anger clearly goes well beyond "Dey terk er jerbs!!!" Let's call out the huge elephant in the room. The stats show this virus is disproportionately hitting people of a certain ethnicity the hardest, in a city where that ethnicity makes up over 80% of the population. To them, this group of people and the city they live in are perfectly expendable for their own selfish needs of keeping open a "multi-generation" business that only existed since 2002, or gardening / motorboat racing in snow and 31*F weather, as I'm certain the typical protester at this spectacle didn't have pleasant opinions about the city in question nor the ethnic group in question in thr first place. As Governor Whitmer succinctly stated, while they're out protesting the stay-at-home order, they may well have just made the pandemic worse and it will now have to be extended even longer (something she was trying to prevent). I have a disabled, elderly mother in Detroit (I.E. one who would be a prime candidate for contracting COVID-19) who is frightened to death given she's already had multiple health scares. Obviously, she wants this to pass ASAP. So this does hit close to home even for me and forgive me if I don't all that sorry for the protesters who are doing everything to prolong it. As far as the economic impact, most of us are taking a hit to one extent of another (so what they're experiencing isn't all that special). I've been forced to take a 10% paycut and 2 week furlough myself. It sucks, but I'm not out here defying orders intended to minimize the spread of this virus like some petulant child because I'm upset about it. And the reality is you live in a heavily blue collar state tied to an extremely cyclical industry. Thus, you're always going to be hit harder than others when economic downturns happen (it is what it is). If you don't like it, find another state to live in or another industry/field to work in. Furthermore, as far as someone bringing up what Canada is doing, I couldn't help but see all of the Trump / Pence posters in the photos. I personally voted for the candidate(s) who would have done a lot more to help them through this tough time economically than a measely one-time $1,200 check (and even push for programs similar to the ones in Canada). Yet, they're still proudly supporting a "leader" and his administration who just orchestrated the largest transfer of wealth in history to the professional / ownership class. So how much can you really do to help folks who insist on voting against their best interests? Ok, ranting done.
