Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2013-14

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A warmer max temp or higher wind would help me, but based on some hypotheticals I've locked up a wild card spot!

The current bracket has me in Mallow's region, although it would be a couple rounds until a potential matchup if we both stick around...and I'm not sure if my seed will change at all based on the rest of today. Looks like another cat 3 forecaster from OU made it too, nice!

A warmer max temp or higher wind would help me, but based on some hypotheticals I've locked up a wild card spot!

The current bracket has me in Mallow's region, although it would be a couple rounds until a potential matchup if we both stick around...and I'm not sure if my seed will change at all based on the rest of today. Looks like another cat 3 forecaster from OU made it too, nice!

Kinda scared about going up against btangy in round 2 (assuming I make it to round 2). 

Look like I'll fall short of WC spot. I had a really good forecasting week, but I never had a chance after that 6 points error on the low on Day 1 because I wasn't paying attention to the evening part. However, that was a heck of 2nd semester and I know I'll be up there among Cat 4 next year if I continues doing what I'm doing. I'm just happy that I was able to take a city trophy for my freshman year :) I'll not be forecasting anymore for rest of the year (too busy with school), but I'll be tracking the tournament since there will be between 2-4 UNCA forecasters in it (2 with byes and others depending on WC). Good luck to y'all!

Kinda scared about going up against btangy in round 2 (assuming I make it to round 2). 

The bracket looks off right now, it has the scores after 2 days listed. Earlier it had the right scores listed and I was still in region 2.

Assuming I'm in region 2, my first matchup would be against kmeier from Albany (a 3 seed). It's two days of forecasting and anything can happen. If I make it far enough to face you or btangy or whoever else in the third round, I'd be pretty happy regardless.

Look like I'll fall short of WC spot. I had a really good forecasting week, but I never had a chance after that 6 points error on the low on Day 1 because I wasn't paying attention to the evening part. However, that was a heck of 2nd semester and I know I'll be up there among Cat 4 next year if I continues doing what I'm doing. I'm just happy that I was able to take a city trophy for my freshman year :) I'll not be forecasting anymore for rest of the year (too busy with school), but I'll be tracking the tournament since there will be between 2-4 UNCA forecasters in it (2 with byes and others depending on WC). Good luck to y'all!

You had a good Spring it seemed like. On one hand I won't complain when I'm done forecasting, but on the other I don't quite want it to be over yet :P

You had a good Spring it seemed like. On one hand I won't complain when I'm done forecasting, but on the other I don't quite want it to be over yet :P

I didn't want WxChallenge to be over yet because I was enjoying it more and more, but it's good to have time back for something else now. I did indeed have a great spring after I figured out what the deal is with WxChallenge as well as getting my tools together considering I've never done any sort of forecasting for a specific city before :) I'm a quick learner which is bad news for others on WxChallenge :) We'll see, though...

Fall semester score: 1.25

Spring semester score: -1.70

EDIT: Excuse my grammar, btw. I'm deaf :)

I went 57/25/12/0

My competition went 55/27/12/0

I'd say there's a half decent chance we tie tomorrow, because I'm pretty sure the low will be 25 or colder, and I'm worried about the high not getting above 55. Will be interesting! The temp is already 33 with a dew of 25, so I'm pretty sure 27 will be too warm...at least I hope.

I went 64/39/26/0

My competition went 63/34/24/0

The biggest spread is on the low. The lower guidance made no sense to me. There will be mid-high clouds all night with increasing southerly winds. Every model I looked at appeared to show too little cloud coverage tonight. We'll see how wrong I end up being :lol:

Basically if the low works out for me I move on, if not, there isn't enough variation elsewhere to bail me out. If the low is 36-37 then the high/winds will decide. If the low is 35 or colder he moves on, if the low is 38 or warmer I move on. At least I'll know what's up by the time I wake up tomorrow, if not 6z tonight :lol:

For today's forecast, my competition was only 1kt off my forecast. He's ahead of me by 0.5 points today.

For tomorrow's forecast, my competition is exactly 1°F off my forecast (he's 36F, I'm 37F). So it turns out the only thing that matters for us is what the low is tomorrow morning. Today didn't even matter.

I find it absolutely insane how close our forecasts have been.

I don't understand how it's 40F already. We couldn't buy a few degrees last night with crystal clear skies and winds that weren't any stronger. And now we're going down 10F in two hours?

Ugh. It's looking like I'm toast. Below 37F and I'm out.

I'm waiting for them to jump 2 or 3 degrees in an hour like they've done on both of the good radiating nights a couple of times for no reason whatsoever. Joplin is only 2F colder than 2 hours ago, but they rose a few 2F between 1-2z.

Either way, the models showed the sharpest drop between 0z and 3-4z, so hopefully they're done cratering.

Edit: up to 41F now.

As long as nothing completely ridiculous happens like seeing a 36F interhourly or a drop to 36F before 06z tonight, I'm on to round two as well. ^_^

Didn't get any colder than 39 after 12z, so that's good. I really doubt they get colder than 40 this evening but you never know I guess. 

What'll be interesting is if we both make it through to round 3, one of us will get to knock the other out. That potential matchup is still on the table.

Didn't get any colder than 39 after 12z, so that's good. I really doubt they get colder than 40 this evening but you never know I guess. 

What'll be interesting is if we both make it through to round 3, one of us will get to knock the other out. That potential matchup is still on the table.

Haha, I have to get through btangy (maybe?) first. He's a tough forecaster to beat.

Haha, I have to get through btangy (maybe?) first. He's a tough forecaster to beat.

btangy went 64/36/25/0 today, his competition went 62/35/23/0. With the current numbers of 62/39/22/0, btangy is actually a point behind...however, I think there's a good chance btangy edges him once the final high/wind are put in. Hey, if btangy just edges a 15 seed, you never know!

Taking a shot on the low...

71/44/11/0

Ugh... The day that I need them to find degrees between hours (Tuesday morning) they get nothing. The day that I need them to not find any (this morning) they find two. :(

Well depending on the high today, I've either dug myself into a 4-point or a 2-point hole. If it's the former, I think that's unrecoverable...

Archived