• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March's greatest wintry periods

uncle W

March has really been the only month that we have been shut out of a top ten amount over the last decade.

April   13.5    187510.2    1915 9.6    1982 8.5    1924 6.5    1944 & 1917 6.4    1938 5.8    1907 5.0    1887 4.2    1956 4.0    2003
        May     Trace   1977 & 1946

This is nitpicking I know but April 2003 is actually 11th all time. I  get your point though and in March 2015 your mission was accomplished.

Now why would I be readiing this two years after it was originally posted when I have a ton of work to do today? That's the question of the day.

Guest Pamela

Only February & March 1967 can be considered as having been a legitimately more severe combination out here than the latest Feb. & March...OKX measured 64.0 of snow in those two months alone; roughly evenly divided between the two...and the months were about as anomalously cold as it can get. 

Guest Pamela

The award for most severe March / April couplet out here would be 1996...Upton saw 11.25 inches of snow in March and followed up with 16.0 inches more in April.  People often forget there were *two* snow events that April out here...a little over 3 inches on the 7th and then a little over a foot on the 9th & 10th. 

The award for most severe March / April couplet out here would be 1996...Upton saw 11.25 inches of snow in March and followed up with 16.0 inches more in April.  People often forget there were *two* snow events that April out here...a little over 3 inches on the 7th and then a little over a foot on the 9th & 10th. 

During this Easter season I’m glad we were able to resurrect this thread which was two years dormant.

Since you expanded the topic from greatest wintry period in March to greatest wintry period in March/April, let me go to the next logical step to the greatest winter. For most of the NYC tristate it would have to be 1995/96 which also includes Pamelas greatest March/April period for LI.

For NYC the stats speak for themselves:

75.6 inches of snow in Central Park, still over a foot more than No. 2. If you add in what actually fell in the January Blizzard, somewhere between 24-27 inches and not the ridiculous 20.2 the park decided to report, then the actual was over 80 inches easily. There was one other notable under measurement that season, I think in December but I don't remember the exact date.

4 consecutive months of double digit snowfall, the only time in NYC this has ever happened.

Dec 11.5 Jan 26.1 Feb 21.2 and March 13.2.

December through February average temperature of 32.3, not fantastic but not bad.

Throw in a few extras like 2.9 inches of snow in November and the April storms you mentioned. The April 9-10 storm dropped 4.0 inches on JFK of all places and only 0.7 inches in Central Park (zookeeper at work?), and up to a foot in places on LI. Since you brought up the April storms I’m curious now if Upton had 5 consecutive months of double digit snow that season.

I believe Uncle W’s rating system of the last 30 years had the winter of 93/94 ahead of 95/96. Well it did exceed it for extreme cold, -2 in NYC and -23 IMBY, ice storms, and snowpack length, but I still give the edge to 95/96.

I'm really glad I woke up at 4:30 and got that off my chest.

During this Easter season I’m glad we were able to resurrect this thread which was two years dormant.

Since you expanded the topic from greatest wintry period in March to greatest wintry period in March/April, let me go to the next logical step to the greatest winter. For most of the NYC tristate it would have to be 1995/96 which also includes Pamelas greatest March/April period for LI.

75.6 inches of snow in Central Park, still over a foot more than No. 2. If you add in what actually fell in the January Blizzard, somewhere between 24-27 inches and not the ridiculous 20.2 the park decided to report, then the actual was over 80 inches easily. There was one other notable under measurement that season, I think in December but I don't remember the exact date.

4 consecutive months of double digit snowfall, the only time in NYC this has ever happened.

Dec 11.5 Jan 26.1 Feb 21.2 and March 13.2.

December through February average temperature of 32.3, not fantastic but not bad.

Throw in a few extras like 2.9 inches of snow in November and the April storms you mentioned. The April 9-10 storm dropped 4.0 inches on JFK of all places and only 0.7 inches in Central Park (zookeeper at work?), and up to a foot in places on LI. Since you brought up the April storms I’m curious now if Upton had 5 consecutive months of double digit snow that season.

I believe Uncle W’s rating system of the last 30 years had the winter of 93/94 ahead of 95/96. Well it did exceed it for extreme cold, -2 in NYC and -23 IMBY, ice storms, and snowpack length, but I still give the edge to 95/96.

I'm really glad I woke up at 4:30 and got that off my chest.

you take away the blizzard in 96 and there is still 55" of snowfall...it was a winter with some snow on or near every holiday I think from thanksgiving to easter...

.... The April 9-10 storm dropped 4.0 inches on JFK of all places and only 0.7 inches in Central Park (zookeeper at work?),

Not that storm.  Zookeeper was lucky he found anything to measure.  It was white rain at KNYC.

There was one other notable under measurement that season, I think in December but I don't remember the exact date.

It was 12/19-20/95.  The 8" from the park was right in line with the rest of the region, except for with LGA which had the highest total in the northeast at 15".  Something was wrong that day at LGA, not at the zoo.  Either that or they had a fluke OES band embedded.

Guest Pamela

Upton / Brookhaven snow 1995-96 (November - April / left to right)

4.5 / 15.5 / 23.5 / 20 / 11.25 / 16 / 90.75

Upton / Brookhaven snow 1995-96 (November - April / left to right)

4.5 / 15.5 / 23.5 / 20 / 11.25 / 16 / 90.75

That was an amazing stretch of non-stop Winter.

To me it was much better than what happened in Boston this year. 90 inches of snow stretched out evenly over a 5 month period, or over a 5 week period like what happened in Boston with not much snow before or after? I'll take 95/96 everytime.

Archived