• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Serious Lee Cirrus Over The Intermountain West

Pretty impressive display of mountain waves and lee induced cirrus today. By far the best display this fall. Especially impressive the is vertical structure in the mountain wave in the lee of the Wind River Range as well as the monster over the Front Range of Colorado.

post-999-0-93417000-1290148849.jpg

post-999-0-40042000-1290148856.jpg

post-999-0-72330600-1290148998.png

The NAM's interpretation of the vertically propagating waves.

post-999-0-00981100-1290148859.png

The height is amazing and the sounding from Denver shows these waves are propagating well into the stratosphere.

post-999-0-67370100-1290149132.png

Love them - especially watching on time lapse. Nice to see some measurements & sat photos of them.

Not so good when you're outside and trying to get some sun, and it looks like the cloud just sits there and doesn't move. When they stick around all day, the sun doesn't come out till the afternoon for an hour, and then goes behind the mountains. Makes for awesome sunsets when the clouds turn the sky orange.

Edit - youtube link from Ft. Collins:

Come on, nobody likes mountain waves?? These were spectacular examples.

It is very interesting and thanks for posting. I know very little about them other than what you and couple others at Eastern posted about them though.

I've lived all of my life in east central/northeast Indiana and the biggest hills we have around here are the old Indian burial mounds.

It is very interesting and thanks for posting. I know very little about them other than what you and couple others at Eastern posted about them though.

I've lived all of my life in east central/northeast Indiana and the biggest hills we have around here are the old Indian burial mounds.

They are awesome! The dynamics that drive them are pretty scary. The math and physics are all based in wave equations. I will see if I can find less technical stuff on mtn waves and the two types, vertically propagating and trapped lee waves for you.

That video was awesome! It also showed the observation that these can even form over certain peaks, something that is still be studied. BTW, you are in Germany? That picture from the Alps?

In Germany now, but that picture was taken in Boulder, CO, of the Flatirons. Also - that small poof of clouds in the bottom right is most likely blowing snow off the Continental Divide caused by high winds.

In Germany now, but that picture was taken in Boulder, CO, of the Flatirons. Also - that small poof of clouds in the bottom right is most likely blowing snow off the Continental Divide caused by high winds.

Thanks for the picture and video! And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it were snow. I am pretty well versed in mountain weather, especially front range as I have forecasted for it before. I personally am highly interested in mountain wave dynamics and downslope windstorms, which are insanely hard to forecast for, I am sure you are well aware of if you were living in or near Boulder. Downslope windstorms are honestly one of the most challenging things to forecast.

Had a similar event here last night, albeit on a MUCH smaller scale. Winds were from the east, coming out of the Odenwald forest hills. They're around 1,300', while the Rhine valley is about 350'. That was enough to create a small line of clouds over Heidelberg.

Observed cloud cover is the gray shaded area - it may have gone further north and south, but that's as far as I could see from my window.

post-804-0-93350100-1290336865.jpg

Had a similar event here last night, albeit on a MUCH smaller scale. Winds were from the east, coming out of the Odenwald forest hills. They're around 1,300', while the Rhine valley is about 350'. That was enough to create a small line of clouds over Heidelberg.

Observed cloud cover is the gray shaded area - it may have gone further north and south, but that's as far as I could see from my window.

post-804-0-93350100-1290336865.jpg

Interesting. if you ever get a chance take a shot if you see any wave clouds and send it to me or post it herethumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived