• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Leonid meteor shower tonight

earthlight

The Geminid meteor shower about a month from now is a far better display..but tonight could offer some fun for those interested. I've grown really interested in the space weather and meteor showers over the past year or so after I saw a huge meteor break up into several pieces on a regular night. Just really awesome.

The Geminid meteor shower about a month from now is a far better display..but tonight could offer some fun for those interested. I've grown really interested in the space weather and meteor showers over the past year or so after I saw a huge meteor break up into several pieces on a regular night. Just really awesome.

Lol you should see the Perseids, theyre well placed, being in the middle of August-- so no freezing outside in the cold :P

I saw the leonids back in 2001 when we had an hourly rate in the thousands, they looked like a fireworks display and you didnt even have to look up to see them!

How much will light pollution affect viewing? Is it realistic for me to expect to see anything in this part of NYC?

It really sucks you didnt see the display in 2001-- trust me, that was the Jan 96 of meteor storms!  That happens every 33 years......

Lol you should see the Perseids, theyre well placed, being in the middle of August-- so no freezing outside in the cold :P

I saw the leonids back in 2001 when we had an hourly rate in the thousands, they looked like a fireworks display and you didnt even have to look up to see them!

I was going to make a comment on that particular year. By far the most spectacular display I've ever and probably will ever see in my lifetime. I was in the 8th grade and my dad woke me up at 2am to go outside and view it. it was below freezing and there was frost on the ground, but we lay on our backs for over an hour, they were shooting every second, often twice at the same time. Didnt see any tonight that moon is way too bright

From my other hobby called DX'ing i left my FM radio tuned to 95.3 FM. So i hooked up a double ended phono wire one to the headphone jack on the back of my FM radio and then the other to the Line-in on my computer and using Total Recorder with split enabled to 1 hour increments i was able to successfully get a Meteor Scatter Burn Radio Signal from 95.3 FM WFFN in Alabama at The Top Of The Hour Station ID time at 2am. Here is the Clip of it also.

http://www.wtfda.info/attachment.php?attachmentid=9528&d=1290135303

Goes to show both of my hobbies are Weather And Atmosphere Reliant.

From my other hobby called DX'ing i left my FM radio tuned to 95.3 FM. So i hooked up a double ended phono wire one to the headphone jack on the back of my FM radio and then the other to the Line-in on my computer and using Total Recorder with split enabled to 1 hour increments i was able to successfully get a Meteor Scatter Burn Radio Signal from 95.3 FM WFFN in Alabama at The Top Of The Hour Station ID time at 2am. Here is the Clip of it also.

http://www.wtfda.inf...28&d=1290135303

Goes to show both of my hobbies are Weather And Atmosphere Reliant.

....just static and radio, didn't hear much

From what ive read, the geminids Dec 14-16 is supposed to be real nice

Archived