• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
LSR vs PNS

TheWeatherPimp

I guess this is a pet peeve of mine, but does anyone know why some of the Eastern Region Offices use Public Information Statements to distribute snow and ice totals rather than Local Storm Reports? I would think Local Storm Reports would be the way to go, and most other regions do utilize the LSR but there are a lot of Eastern Region Offices who will not use the LSRS for winter precipitation reports. Drives me crazy when you have to wait 6 hours for the office to put out another PNS with snowfall and ice amounts. Just my two cents, didn't know if anyone knew why the varying practices exist across the Eastern Region.

I guess this is a pet peeve of mine, but does anyone know why some of the Eastern Region Offices use Public Information Statements to distribute snow and ice totals rather than Local Storm Reports? I would think Local Storm Reports would be the way to go, and most other regions do utilize the LSR but there are a lot of Eastern Region Offices who will not use the LSRS for winter precipitation reports. Drives me crazy when you have to wait 6 hours for the office to put out another PNS with snowfall and ice amounts. Just my two cents, didn't know if anyone knew why the varying practices exist across the Eastern Region.

LSR is usually used to describe storm damage, PNS is used to describe storm amounts.

I would much rather see a listing of snow amounts in a PNS than having to sift through a bunch of LSR's as they come in.

Most offices who use the LSR do a summary at the end of the event with all reports. I am just the opposite, I think LSR's are much more convenient to use during a snow or winter event. For one, you can view them in third party programs.

Most offices who use the LSR do a summary at the end of the event with all reports. I am just the opposite, I think LSR's are much more convenient to use during a snow or winter event. For one, you can view them in third party programs.

For example:

post-783-0-78838100-1293724721.png

Our NWS (ILN) does not utilize LSRs when all the offices around us do, and it is just extremely inconvenient when you have to wait 4-6 hours to get snow, winter reports, etc.

Archived