• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WU Radblast (NEXRAD output) gone for good?

WolfStock1

Query from a Wx enthusiast-but-not-professional - 

I brought this up last year when the NEXRAD feed showed up as "down for maintenance" on the Weather Underground site.   It came back for a while but then went down again, and has been showing up as "down for maintenance" ever since then - 17 months ago.  Is the NEXRAD radar radblast thing gone, as something directly-accessible on web page?

I had some handy links to custom frames that pulled in the radar from the wunderground site, and loved that, but surprisingly for a popular website it's still there but still showing "down for maintenance" as of 3/2022.  

I bought the RadarScope app on phone - that's pretty good, though is a bit more heavyweight and klunky, and I'm not sure if is actually the nexrad radar, and it's also not as flexible in the options for display (e.g. Rain/Snow checkbox).   There is a decent site done by College of DuPage as well - also a bit klunky, and seems odd that one would have to use a small college website to get to that.   Might there be something on a NOAA/NWS site, or major commercial site, that has it?

Thanks for any info.

Screenshot.JPG

If you are just looking for basic radar - use the NWS LWX site and it is on there. Though you won't have a lot of options for different product types. Radarscope is best-in-class for mobile and if you are a higher end enthusiast you could also get GR2 or GR3 products on PC. 

NEXRAD is not a term specific to Wunderground - it's just what WSR-88D was referred to (is?)

• Like 6

7 hours ago, WolfStock1 said:

Query from a Wx enthusiast-but-not-professional - 

I brought this up last year when the NEXRAD feed showed up as "down for maintenance" on the Weather Underground site.   It came back for a while but then went down again, and has been showing up as "down for maintenance" ever since then - 17 months ago.  Is the NEXRAD radar gone, as something directly-accessible on web page?

I had some handy links to custom frames that pulled in the radar from the wunderground site, and loved that, but surprisingly for a popular website it's still there but still showing "down for maintenance" as of 3/2022.  

I bought the RadarScope app on phone - that's pretty good, though is a bit more heavyweight and klunky, and I'm not sure if is actually the nexrad radar, and it's also not as flexible in the options for display (e.g. Rain/Snow checkbox).   There is a decent site done by College of DuPage as well - also a bit klunky, and seems odd that one would have to use a small college website to get to that.   Might there be something on a NOAA/NWS site, or major commercial site, that has it?

Thanks for any info.

Screenshot.JPG

Download The Radar Now app. They just updated and now the nexrad local base reflectivities are back.

On 8/31/2023 at 1:20 PM, Stormpc said:

Download The Radar Now app. They just updated and now the nexrad local base reflectivities are back.

Thanks.   Downloaded.   I see it has a free 5-day trial - I'll check that out next time we get some storms through (in a few days).   Looks like it has some promise.   Still though - it's a phone app; I'm hoping to find a web link, that I can use on PC or phone.

On 8/31/2023 at 9:48 AM, Kmlwx said:

If you are just looking for basic radar - use the NWS LWX site and it is on there. Though you won't have a lot of options for different product types. Radarscope is best-in-class for mobile and if you are a higher end enthusiast you could also get GR2 or GR3 products on PC. 

NEXRAD is not a term specific to Wunderground - it's just what WSR-88D was referred to (is?)

Thanks for the tip.  I find the radars on the NWS extremely klunky though.   Really not much ability to customize view with pan and zoom.   One of the things I liked about the old WU method was I could have a super-quick gif that was specific to my location - e.g. zoomed right in to the area just around my house, so I could tell practically down to the second when it was going to start raining from a storm.    (RadarScope provides this, but only on phone, and it requires manual panning around - not a single quick click.)

E.g. this was URL I used for the gif:

https://radblast.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/radar/WUNIDS_map?station=LWX&brand=wui&num=12&delay=15&type=NCR&frame=0&scale=0.125&noclutter=0&lat=39.15021336&lon=-77.48304690&label=Leesburg%2C+VA&showstorms=0&map.x=400&map.y=240&centerx=428&centery=280&transx=80&transy=80&showlabels=1&severe=0&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&smooth=0

(lat/long changed to protect the innocent)

All I had to do was tweak that as desired, and bookmark it, and it provided a great way to quickly see local hi-res radar; no app required and no web page to load other than just the one super-quick gif frame.

IIRC there was a newer version that was created a couple of years ago, that provided higher resolution, and I'm guessing that has something to do with this.   I'm guessing it's a licensing thing - like the people that put out the output charge more $ for it now, and WU wasn't willing to pay.   Just a guess though.

(Yeah I know NEXRAD was not a Wunderground thing; just that that was the one site that seemed to pipe it through directly, with the NEXRAD name).   

NEXRAD data from the NWS is free for all. No licensing. However, the data feeds that NWS provides to apps like Radarscope are often just data - it's up to Radarscope or each individual provider to do color tables, and which products to offer. At the heart of it - Level 2 data, for example is just zeroes and ones until somebody makes it pretty.

Probably not a 100% 1:1 solution for what you're looking for but there may be a lesser known site around that could do something similar. 

• WolfStock1 changed the title to WU Radblast (NEXRAD output) gone for good?
23 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

NEXRAD data from the NWS is free for all. No licensing. However, the data feeds that NWS provides to apps like Radarscope are often just data - it's up to Radarscope or each individual provider to do color tables, and which products to offer. At the heart of it - Level 2 data, for example is just zeroes and ones until somebody makes it pretty.

Probably not a 100% 1:1 solution for what you're looking for but there may be a lesser known site around that could do something similar. 

OK - seems like then that the functionality I'm really looking for was in the WU-specific "radblast" tool?  (that takes this data feed and makes the maps, adds the options, etc.)

I've updated the OP to indicate.