• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December record warmth in the LV

LVwxHistorian

So the lowest high temp. at LVIA this month was 36 on 2 days which is only surpassed in the warmest DEC ever, 2015, when the lowest high was 39, though 2015 was MUCH warmer overall with +13 degree departure (current month about +4).

DEC 1923 also had 36 as its lowest max., but that's with 3 days of missing data and having been taken in downtown Allentown instead of at the cooler airport.

• Weenie 1

On 12/31/2021 at 10:23 AM, LVwxHistorian said:

So the lowest high temp. at LVIA this month was 36 on 2 days which is only surpassed in the warmest DEC ever, 2015, when the lowest high was 39, though 2015 was MUCH warmer overall with +13 degree departure (current month about +4).

DEC 1923 also had 36 as its lowest max., but that's with 3 days of missing data and having been taken in downtown Allentown instead of at the cooler airport.

What combined sources do you use for your data??

23 minutes ago, LVwxHistorian said:

But to elaborate, as you know, they use downtown Allentown data from 1922 to 1944 (maybe 1938?) then airport data, between which there is really not much difference considering the warmer current normals:   see:

Geology of Lehigh and Northampton Counties, PA - Historical Works

a few years ago I saw them list pre-1922 temp data in a list of record warm months and they told me that it was from Lehigh University (also in the above link), but their means are much warmer than Allentown which is probably why they no longer use them in the combined dataset 

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, LVwxHistorian said:

But to elaborate, as you know, they use downtown Allentown data from 1922 to 1944 (maybe 1938?) then airport data, between which there is really not much difference considering the warmer current normals:   see:

Geology of Lehigh and Northampton Counties, PA - Historical Works

a few years ago I saw them list pre-1922 temp data in a list of record warm months and they told me that it was from Lehigh University (also in the above link), but their means are much warmer than Allentown which is probably why they no longer use them in the combined dataset 

Just asking as we need to do a lot of rigorous testing and p-value analysis like I have done with the Chester County data to ensure it is valid and comparable between stations following observation location movements

11 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

Just asking as we need to do a lot of rigorous testing and p-value analysis like I have done with the Chester County data to ensure it is valid and comparable between stations following observation location movements

Yeah I'm not that sophisticated, I figure if the data is good enough for NWS then it's good enough for me.  Elevation is 254' vs 390' and distance about 6 miles, and in the 1920s and 30s there wasn't too much urban heat yet so ....

What you should really be worried about are Gordon's messed up snow figures, lol! 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Albedoman said:

Goody goody,  breaking the latest no measurable snowfall record is still in play.  The 12Z model runs are  insisting on breaking this record too as they too are already pushing the next storm out to sea.  The east central snow hole lives on  Hurray.

what about Friday when we get 12 to 18"?!!   

• Weenie 1

No way 12 to 18".   The models cannot even agree on one inch right now outside of 24-36 hours . What are you  smoking?  I want some of that. I would love to see that amount but it is not in the cards right now 

I agree there is a 50/50 chance of a measurable snow right now for the LV and that is all I can agree on with this chaotic LR model runs and the extremely progressive jet stream over the US.  One run shows 12-18 in, the next makes the storm disappear all together. The model runs both short and long range are pretty bad right now as the buoy data in the Pacific cannot be ingested quick enough into the models because of fast jet stream to make them more reliable. I keep saying we need to send drones over the PA ocean and SW desert areas to supplement the atmospheric wind/temp data gathering over  vast open areas and to perhaps help  launch more weather balloons . I am surprised nobody at NOAA has thought of that 

• Weenie 1

34 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

No way 12 to 18".   The models cannot even agree on one inch right now outside of 24-36 hours . What are you  smoking?  I want some of that. I would love to see that amount but it is not in the cards right now 

I agree there is a 50/50 chance of a measurable snow right now for the LV and that is all I can agree on with this chaotic LR model runs and the extremely progressive jet stream over the US.  One run shows 12-18 in, the next makes the storm disappear all together. The model runs both short and long range are pretty bad right now as the buoy data in the Pacific cannot be ingested quick enough into the models because of fast jet stream to make them more reliable. I keep saying we need to send drones over the PA ocean and SW desert areas to supplement the atmospheric wind/temp data gathering over  vast open areas and to perhaps help  launch more weather balloons . I am surprised nobody at NOAA has thought of that 

Lol!  Gotta wait and see I guess.  That's a good idea about drones -- I guess it's because they're still an emerging technology, especially as far as data collection goes

• Weenie 1