Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The updated NWS radar is terrible

Heisy

On 3/23/2021 at 1:54 AM, David T said:

Having had a brush with an F4 in the the third grade, I've spent the last 40 plus years as an "amateur meteorologist" for family and friends with regard to extreme weather events.

It's been amazing over the years having a weather radar that demonstrated vibrant greens and reds reflecting rotation and precipitation, in addition to geometric shapes that reflected different types of active warnings.  Overlaid on a map with interstates, rivers, and highways, I could comfortably sit in my home while feeding a baby in a high chair as a major tornado moved 10 or 15 miles to the south.

The flash issue aside, I strongly suspect this new radar was designed by somebody who enjoys checking the weather on a screen that is just a few inches in width and diameter. In my opinion, that should be a last resort when out and about or after the power goes out.

Unless they can provide explicit instructions on how to make the new product more like the flash product, people are going to die. I would welcome a tutorial that made that happen, and I don't mean the nonsense contained under FAQ.

My house missed 3 Tornadoes in a single day! (5/10/2010)

The Norman-Pink EF4, the Tribbey-Bethel Acres EF3 & the Tecumseh EF3 . . . 

• 5 months later...