• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
When to take furniture inside in north Georgia

khl52634

I'm helping my sister look after an older relative. I feel my sister is at times overly concerning about the weather. Tonight she asked me to help her take the furniture in because in north Atlanta we were under a wind advisory warning. I looked it up and it called for winds 10 - 20 mph with gusts to 35. It's hard to take her seriously about this sometimes, but I also don't want to complete disregard her. So, I'm trying to figure out where or how to draw the line. 

The kshb website says at 30-44 miles an hour - Nothing to worry about with these wind speeds. Trees will sway, some lawn furniture might topple.

Since I"m not very familiar with wind speeds and weather in general, I'm curious if the people on here feel this is accurate, and also, if anyone has ever dealt with what may be an overly concerned family member.

• 10 months later...

For an area like this, it's best not to keep bulky and heavy furniture on the patio. If the winds are above 50 miles per hour and it takes you by surprise, I guess the last thing you want to do is carry heavy stuff. In some ways, your sister may be right. I've never had to deal with an overly concerned family member, but sometimes an extra precaution is very appropriate. If I were you, I`d consider some lightweight furniture that can be removed immediately in case of a storm. Consider this option www.gardenfurniture.co.uk I was advised this by a friend who has used similar services. Her furniture is lightweight, but at the same time sturdy enough.