• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Cause of decreased sunlight in finger lakes region?

I live in the finger lakes region near rochester new york, and I have noticed this summer that it is alot less sunny than normal, there is thicker than normal cloud cover that is obstructing the sun. We normally get alot of cloud cover in the winter but is is usually very sunny all summer and this has not been the case this year. Does anyone have an idea of why this is happening?

Just a crappy stubborn weather pattern we have been stuck in over the Great Lakes region this summer.  Constant rainy and cloudy days.  No real heat waves have punched up our way.  More of a winter time pattern we have been stuck in for the better part of the summer.  I mean the high for Buffalo tomorrow is only 70 with lows in the upper 50s.  Total flip flop from the extreme heat and drought last summer.  

On 7/24/2017 at 8:37 PM, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Just a crappy stubborn weather pattern we have been stuck in over the Great Lakes region this summer.  Constant rainy and cloudy days.  No real heat waves have punched up our way.  More of a winter time pattern we have been stuck in for the better part of the summer.  I mean the high for Buffalo tomorrow is only 70 with lows in the upper 50s.  Total flip flop from the extreme heat and drought last summer.  

What is causing this weather pattern though?

2 hours ago, sara20 said:

What is causing this weather pattern though?

It's just one of the millions of variations that can occur.  It's basically one of the rainiest spring/summers in the last 137 years for WNY/Upstate NY so you are correct in thinking its cloudier than usual.  Large scale patterns around the globe have locked in a persistent upper low over Hudson Bay.  This pattern is similar to the large scale blocking patterns in the North Atlantic that give us a colder and snowier winters, such as the infamous Winter or 2015 when we were below freezing for something like 40 days straight.  It's just a natural variation.  As an avid gardener and lover of plants, trees, etc..... I would much rather a wet cool summer than that brutal drought last year.  At least it looks lush and happy outside, albeit a tad bit chilly.  

Archived