• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
IP Camera Config

alex

Great tip.  I think this will be my favorite cam for NNE and will check it a lot with rain/snow situations.    Alex will be one of the only really high quality real time cams that I know of in the Whites.  Mount Washington webcam site has the cam at 4000 on Wildcat but really doesn't count.   He will be one of the first places to flip to snow.  Alex, how high would you estimate that ridge on the left  side of your view?  I'm guessing that is pretty much due north of you.

Hi guys - 

Sorry I've been quiet, we're launching a new product next week and work is crazy! Also, left home last night to come down to Boston, then off to Florida on Thursday for 12 days for work. Yes, it's Florida but I really wish it wasn't in the middle of fall! At least I can look at the camera. :) I definitely want to exchange the camera when I get back. Something just doesn't seem right (great tips, BTW). 

I agree that the IR does seem very very good. I also appreciate your comments on standard vs wide angle; I see the point. I do wish we could get more of the side view in though. The mountain on the left is not very high, 3600 ft, just happens to be very close. I'd happily take some dynamite to it lol! But I don't think that's in the cards. If I got a wide angle you might also be able to see the ski area, which is on the right (but covered by trees in the summer). Some chainsawing is definitely possible but not much... a lot of the area in front of the house is National Forest; most of my land is behind the house and to the sides, up to the river. 

I'm currently getting permits to add cabins, maybe some day we should an American Weather weekend! :) If all goes well, I can stop working in Boston and do vacation rentals as my main job + some consulting... but for now, still gotta head into Boston 3 days a week, which is painful but heck, better than starving! But I need a good camera for those 3 days. ;)

Alex,  I just realized a couple of things about my Nest Cam that you might be interested in if your looking for possible second cam for  wide angle security but one that records wildlife etc.  Nest just Cam out with a new app for its cams.  On my smartphone I can quickly scroll throw time lapses going back to 10 days.  Day and IR night.  If there is movement in the cams sight it will put a dot on the timeline so you can quickly go back to that minute and review and watch what happens.  Even has a mic and it can send you a text/email  for  detected movement.  I also realized my wide angle Nest Cam can be set for a zoomed in view.  You loose some detail but it can be set.  Outdoor Nest Cam I think is $199 and the recorded stream cost more depending how many days you want to store.     The cams just plug into a electric socket so if you are away and need to move the cam to watch inside its really easy.  When we go away I keep one cam for the weather and I move the Nest Cam inside to monitor our 3 cats and what they are currently destroying in the house!  Even can speak into my phone and the cats hear me through the cam and come running into the cam view.   I know it gets costly having more than one cam but just wanted to throw out the info.  The app is very cool and easy to use. Okay too much info!  

Gene

Alex, I check the cam a couple of times a day  (being retired is nice!).  It does seem over exposed.  I can really tell by the sky and the Presidential Range.  eek said in one of his posts it might be because the bottom part of the image is your dark deck so the camera compensates.  You could aim it a bit higher and it would probably give you more contrast for the mountains and sky.  I wouldn't think you would have to do that, just adjust the shutter down slightly.  With my Netcam I play with the aperture and keep looking on my computer to try to get the best image.  My camera is so old that the whole thing is screwed up now.

Other than that, yes I think you have a bad cam with that blurriness.  I saw you said your going away for 12 days.  Do they give you a window for returns?  

It's Amazon, so I have 30 days; I was planning on ordering another one for delivery as soon as I get back, and checking the difference. Might also try a Nest Cam just to see the difference... the zoom feature does sound nice, and it would be cool to have a side by side comparison. I'll try your tip on the contrast too when I get back, but it's more than just that, as you mention. The left side blurriness is really bothersome!

Alex,  when you get back and before you decide on a 2nd cam/Nest Cam  I will post some screen shots of my Nestcam with wide angle and some zoomed in images.  Just so you can see what the Nest Cam can/can't do.   You can really zoom in but loose the quality the more you zoom.  Anyhow I'll do that when  you get back north.

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Alex,  when you get back and before you decide on a 2nd cam/Nest Cam  I will post some screen shots of my Nestcam with wide angle and some zoomed in images.  Just so you can see what the Nest Cam can/can't do.   You can really zoom in but loose the quality the more you zoom.

Absolutely, that’s because it’s just a “digital” zoom, and not an actual optical zoom.  You can do the same thing by simply cropping out the middle of the full resolution image.  It’s fine unless you need to zoom and retain full resolution.

Archived