• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Metro Area PDS Watches/Warnings, SPC High-Risk Days

You guys know local weather history like few other people I've ever met in my life...

The only High Risk day I can find in our area's history is the May 1998 tornado outbreak, which I admittedly don't remember very well.  I've lived in Central Jersey my whole life but I don't remember how this outbreak impacted me at the age of 8:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late-May_1998_tornado_outbreak_and_derecho

According to Wikipedia there has not been a High Risk day since then.  I'm wondering how many Moderate risk days we've had?  I think I can remember a handful.

The other question I have, have we ever had a Particularly Dangerous Situation for ANY weather events in the Northeast?  I can't remember one but I haven't been reading the full bulletin texts for longer than about 5 years.

Thanks for any answers you can provide.

You guys know local weather history like few other people I've ever met in my life...

The only High Risk day I can find in our area's history is the May 1998 tornado outbreak, which I admittedly don't remember very well. I've lived in Central Jersey my whole life but I don't remember how this outbreak impacted me at the age of 8:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late-May_1998_tornado_outbreak_and_derecho

According to Wikipedia there has not been a High Risk day since then. I'm wondering how many Moderate risk days we've had? I think I can remember a handful.

The other question I have, have we ever had a Particularly Dangerous Situation for ANY weather events in the Northeast? I can't remember one but I haven't been reading the full bulletin texts for longer than about 5 years.

Thanks for any answers you can provide.

I remember the 98 event well. We had hail at wantagh high school. But other then the hail it underproduced on the island which is expected that early in the season

If you haven't already, check this thread out has some cool info from some outbreaks:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/20829-rank-top-5-severe-weather-outbreak/

Not sure what risk level they were, but I can remember memorial day 1995 having a huge outbreak of supercell storms throughout the area, including an F3 tornado in Great Barrington, MA. June 2011 was another huge outbreak with the Springfield Mass tornado, which there are some incredible videos of on youtube. 

What I would give to check out a radar loop of the July 10, 1989 great northeastern Tornado outbreak. That event appears to be in a class of it's own. 

Archived