• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Quarterly Article on NW Chester County PA weather

ChescoWx

Thought I would start pasting the article I write for a local newsletter here in East Nantmeal Township on Weather in the township

Hello again from Paul at The NW Chester County Weather Station (www.chescowx.com) here in beautiful East Nantmeal Township.

We are well into the holiday season. However our weather during the last month (through today 12/4) has not shown many signs of winter. What a contrast to last year. By this time last year we had already had 2 snow events in November including a 5.3” storm on Thanksgiving Eve giving us our first White Turkey Day since 1989. December 2014 was warm but we still ended up with 55.3” of snow in the township or 19.3” above our 36.0” average (1983-Present). So what if anything does all this mean regarding our upcoming winter? More thoughts on that later.

In reviewing the actual weather during the last 3 months we ended the summer season of 2015 with not one 90 degree day in our township for the summer of 2015. This marked the 3rd summer during the past 12 years that we failed to record any 90+ days here in the Township By contrast Philadelphia International Airport ended the summer with 37 days of 90 degrees or above!  Just another benefit of living in our fair township at a relative higher elevation.

September was a mild (+3.2) above normal month with slightly below normal rainfall of 4.18”. October was a cooler than normal month at 1.2 degrees below normal with near normal rainfall. With our 29.4 degree low on the 19th our growing (freeze free) season ended at 176 days Normal growing season in the township is 171 days. For our many farmers in the township we ended October at 95% of normal YTD precipitation (including snow melt) at 38.81”. Unfortunately November was a very dry month with only 1.88” of rain falling – well below our normal precipitation of 3.90”. In addition it ended up being the 3rd warmest November in our Chester County data set from 1894 to Present. We recorded an average temperature of 49.3 degrees. The only warmer November months were 1931 (50.1) and 1902(49.4).

December has dawned with much better weather…warmer than normal which most folks appreciate and wet with over 1 inch of rain falling during the first 2 days of the month which the farmers like. Rainfall during the winter (low sun angle/less evaporation) season is critical to get as much water into the ground to prep for a great 2016 growing season!

So what does the upcoming winter hold for us in the Township? I am not a professional meteorologist – so please be sure to check with the Mount Holly/Philadelphia National Weather Service team at http://www.weather.gov/phi/ for the latest watches and warnings this winter.

My forecast for our Township is for an overall colder and snowier than normal winter….but not as snowy as the last 2 winter seasons 2013/14 (80”of snow) and last winter (55” of snow). I am forecasting total snow for the season in East Nantmeal to total around 45”or +9” above our normal 36” season. I see above normal temps through the first 20 days of the month with a colder trend and a possible snow event during the Christmas Holiday period. The coldest and snowiest period (relative to averages) of this upcoming winter are likely during February and March of 2016 Keep those blowers gassed up!!

Until next time –All the best!  Paul

“Some are weather-wise, some are otherwise” Ben Franklin

Thought I would start pasting the article I write for a local newsletter here in East Nantmeal Township on Weather in the township

Hello again from Paul at The NW Chester County Weather Station (www.chescowx.com) here in beautiful East Nantmeal Township.

We are well into the holiday season. However our weather during the last month (through today 12/4) has not shown many signs of winter. What a contrast to last year. By this time last year we had already had 2 snow events in November including a 5.3” storm on Thanksgiving Eve giving us our first White Turkey Day since 1989. December 2014 was warm but we still ended up with 55.3” of snow in the township or 19.3” above our 36.0” average (1983-Present). So what if anything does all this mean regarding our upcoming winter? More thoughts on that later.

In reviewing the actual weather during the last 3 months we ended the summer season of 2015 with not one 90 degree day in our township for the summer of 2015. This marked the 3rd summer during the past 12 years that we failed to record any 90+ days here in the Township By contrast Philadelphia International Airport ended the summer with 37 days of 90 degrees or above!  Just another benefit of living in our fair township at a relative higher elevation.

September was a mild (+3.2) above normal month with slightly below normal rainfall of 4.18”. October was a cooler than normal month at 1.2 degrees below normal with near normal rainfall. With our 29.4 degree low on the 19th our growing (freeze free) season ended at 176 days Normal growing season in the township is 171 days. For our many farmers in the township we ended October at 95% of normal YTD precipitation (including snow melt) at 38.81”. Unfortunately November was a very dry month with only 1.88” of rain falling – well below our normal precipitation of 3.90”. In addition it ended up being the 3rd warmest November in our Chester County data set from 1894 to Present. We recorded an average temperature of 49.3 degrees. The only warmer November months were 1931 (50.1) and 1902(49.4).

December has dawned with much better weather…warmer than normal which most folks appreciate and wet with over 1 inch of rain falling during the first 2 days of the month which the farmers like. Rainfall during the winter (low sun angle/less evaporation) season is critical to get as much water into the ground to prep for a great 2016 growing season!

So what does the upcoming winter hold for us in the Township? I am not a professional meteorologist – so please be sure to check with the Mount Holly/Philadelphia National Weather Service team at http://www.weather.gov/phi/ for the latest watches and warnings this winter.

My forecast for our Township is for an overall colder and snowier than normal winter….but not as snowy as the last 2 winter seasons 2013/14 (80”of snow) and last winter (55” of snow). I am forecasting total snow for the season in East Nantmeal to total around 45”or +9” above our normal 36” season. I see above normal temps through the first 20 days of the month with a colder trend and a possible snow event during the Christmas Holiday period. The coldest and snowiest period (relative to averages) of this upcoming winter are likely during February and March of 2016 Keep those blowers gassed up!!

Until next time –All the best!  Paul

“Some are weather-wise, some are otherwise” Ben Franklin

Bringing the good 'ole Sweetwater Reporter to prominence!

Archived