• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

today we have 2000-4000 J/kg of MUCAPE near our Colorado cities, with about 20-30 knots of shear. Once again the 300mb wind of 40 knots seems to be quite a bit higher than the 500mb winds, and that's contributing to some 30 knot values for 0-6km. I think we could get some scattered strong thunderstorms.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW the GFS seems to have a lot of ran in the general Denver and Colorado Springs area, although there is a pretty big gradient. With convection, you may get just about any amount. They are posting flash flood watches south of Denver.

two pics from Saturday

pileus clouds

post-1182-0-02210100-1375840244_thumb.jp

sunny with a chance of rain! It is sunny and raining heavily, when the storm was moving away from Fort Collins.

post-1182-0-12062200-1375840248_thumb.jp

So, this is interesting. 90 minutes ago there was nothing at all nearby on radar then a storm popped up right over us, we got small hail (0.5") before we even had any rain, and now we have a little flooding. Probably an inch so far and it looks like we are getting into some training. Most rain at one time in probably a year! Our house just got painted today. I think it dried before the rain started though. O joy.

I have seen pileus clouds several times in the east. That was a particularly obvious pileus. 

I think yesterday was somewhat of a bust precipitation-wise. Eastern Colorado only got up to 0.5". I saw no rain yesterday.

Radar shows heavy rain rates now near Denver.

So, for tomorrow's predicted rain event in metro Denver the models were saying 1-2 inches of rain late yesterday, now 0.5-0.6". I feel like I'm tracking another disappearing winter storm. Maybe we'll get 0.2". I spent way too much $ on water last month with about 0.6" natural total.

Wow, that's crazy I had about 2.4" last month.

Yeah I know- we were in a bit of a rain hole. Evening out now though- we've probably had about an inch the past 4 days, after over an inch in 2 hours on Thursday.

BTW, the snow on Bierstadt (I think that is Bierstadt in your pic) looks old. Last year's maybe? Time to put the Microspikes in the pack and leave them there till winter sets in.

I miss the cooler weather! Two record highs in a row at DEN.  Will today be a third? Record is 97. Seems like anytime the pattern is conducive to warmer than normal we threaten records. Then again, interesting that the difference between normal highs and record highs is only about 10 degrees- small range. Haze is weird too- hope it won't be too smoggy with the workweek starting.

Saturday Aug 17:  Fort Collins-CSU: 91.8F. Fort Collins-Loveland: 34C (93F)

Sunday Aug 18: Fort Collins-CSU was 90.0F, but then we had sprinkles with some 30mph wind gusts, then it stayed in the 80's with some cloudy/partly cloudy skies. Fort Collins-Loveland: 34C (93F)

Today, it was 93.5F, with dew point 45.5 at that time. (Dew points were in the 30's by the foothills.) It was bright and sunny, without the haze that existed on Fri-Sat. Fort Collins-Loveland: 35C (95F)

1 degree hotter at DEN today and this year would be the year with the earliest 100 and latest 100 mark on record. Actually, when I look closer, it is the latest 99 on record. This summer seems to have had hot dry bookends. Bring on cooler weather! Kids are back in school... no time for the pool.

Yes, the 99 yesterday at DEN was the warmest temperature this late in the year on record for the airport (98 has been touched as late as Aug 31). As usual, this record has to come with an asterisk due to the location change of the airport. Aurora, the closest official station to where the old airport was, only hit 95 yesterday.

Today has been cooler with highs in the low 90s, and a nice little storm moving in off the foothills now.

Record high of 97 at Fort Collins yesterday. Today, we are still in the 80's

Hmm, I'm showing the official high to be 99 at FNL according to the NWS. The 97 must have been a different location? Looking at the WRCC records for Fort Collins, they a have COOP station with records back to 1893, and it shows the record high for yesterday was 98 from 1961: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?co3005

It looks like that station has still been keeping records through early 2013, so maybe that's the station that had 97 yesterday...and it also appears FNL's records only go back to 1986, and of course they are in a different location than the COOP station. So it does appear that FNL's 99 is the hottest temperature this late on record for Fort Collins, although it occurred at a station that has only been recording for less than 25 years (Fort Collins-Loveland Airport). In addition, I see there is a COOP station in Loveland that apparently is still active and has recorded a high of 99 as late as 9/1: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?co5236

So confusing...but yeah, hot start and hot end to this summer, with a nice seasonable to at times cool period in between.

To add to the discussion, Broomfield airport, which happens to be the closest major station to me, had a high of 96 yesterday. However, they have had a high as warm as 101 on Aug 30. So not even close to the hottest temperature so late for them.

Aurora, which as I mentioned previously hit 95 yesterday, has been that warm as late as September 6.

Hmm, I'm showing the official high to be 99 at FNL according to the NWS. The 97 must have been a different location? Looking at the WRCC records for Fort Collins, they a have COOP station with records back to 1893, and it shows the record high for yesterday was 98 from 1961: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?co3005

It looks like that station has still been keeping records through early 2013, so maybe that's the station that had 97 yesterday...and it also appears FNL's records only go back to 1986, and of course they are in a different location than the COOP station. So it does appear that FNL's 99 is the hottest temperature this late on record for Fort Collins, although it occurred at a station that has only been recording for less than 25 years (Fort Collins-Loveland Airport). In addition, I see there is a COOP station in Loveland that apparently is still active and has recorded a high of 99 as late as 9/1: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?co5236

So confusing...but yeah, hot start and hot end to this summer, with a nice seasonable to at times cool period in between.

I think he means CSU when he says Fort Collins, which is where I suspect the COOP is (which is purely a guess without looking up anything)

Yes, the Fort Collins COOP station with records to 1893 is at CSU. They said, on the phone message, that 97 was a record for yesterday. I am not aware of any record-list for FNL airport, so I don't quote records for FNL.    FNL can run hot sometimes because it's away from the trees. On the METARs, it rounds to the nearest degree celsius. (and reports whole numbers of degrees celsius.)  I find that weird, considering many small airports have the ASOS system that has the METARs in whole numbers of degrees fahrenheit on the remarks.

Yes, the Fort Collins COOP station with records to 1893 is at CSU. They said, on the phone message, that 97 was a record for yesterday. I am not aware of any record-list for FNL airport, so I don't quote records for FNL.    FNL can run hot sometimes because it's away from the trees. On the METARs, it rounds to the nearest degree celsius. (and reports whole numbers of degrees celsius.)  I find that weird, considering many small airports have the ASOS system that has the METARs in whole numbers of degrees fahrenheit on the remarks.

I don't know what went into the decisions as far as where to put ASOS versus AWOS.  I'm sure funding had something to do with it, but other than that... ?

Archived