• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Snow Water Equivalent Ratios With 1/25 Event

Rainshadow

I thought this would be an interesting case because of the strong winds aloft and low temperatures.  I would have liked to have had a heavier event  :whistle: to level the field a bit better.  But you'll notice that just because you are colder (north), doesn't mean the ratios are necessarily better.  I don't know if I'll be able to get a bufkit crosshair sounding, but the best ratios were right around PHL. There were only two CoCoRahs reports from PHL proper, but there are a boatload from Montgomery County.

There were no CoCoRahs reports from Delaware County this morning.  In this event dendritic growth was >>>>>> strong winds aloft.

Snow/Water Equivalent Ratio

Berks 19:1

Bucks 26:1

Carbon 18:1

Chester 22:1

Lehigh 14:1

Monroe 10:1

Montgomery 30:1

Northampton 20:1

Philadelphia 27:1

Kent De 15:1

New Castle De 13:1

Sussex De 11:1

MD Ern Shore 11:1

Atlantic 18:1

Burlington 21:1

Camden 20:1

Cape May 15:1

Cumberland 13:1

Gloucester 20:1

Hunterdon 17:1

Mercer 18:1

Middlesex 16:1

Monmouth 16:1

Morris 13:1

Ocean 14:1

Salem 12:1

Somerset 15:1

Sussex 18:1

Warren 14:1

From a cloud microphysic perspective, it doesn't.  But because they are colder, less is loss to melting and I suppose in more marginal moisture situations they also lose less to evaporation on the way down.

Thanks for the explanation. I was just wondering because a reporting station about 10 miles from me had a slightly higher ratio, 20:1 vs. 17.5:1) but the station is about 400' higher. It could also be a slight inaccuracy in measuring?

Thanks for the explanation. I was just wondering because a reporting station about 10 miles from me had a slightly higher ratio, 20:1 vs. 17.5:1) but the station is about 400' higher. It could also be a slight inaccuracy in measuring?

The snowfall was light, so a .01 here or there can account for that difference. In this instance elevation should not have mattered. One of the reasons I wish the snow was heavier, would have removed some of the background noise.  There is another non-Cocorahs person who e-mails in a report from Pocono Summit Monroe County and he also had a straight 10:1.

Could heavier precipitation rates lead to more evaporational cooling aloft, thus bringing the snow growth regions down to ideal dendritic growth temperatures?

In this case it wasnt. A lot going on with this image.  Time goes right to left in this image. Max omega and temp cross hairs occurred about 21z at PHL (apologies the time stamp was cut off).  About 55 kts of wind in there too.

post-623-0-28862300-1359253557_thumb.jpg

Archived