Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Electric Vehicles (EV) to reduce AGW

PottercountyWXobserver

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/facts

http://www.teslamotors.com/goelectric

This is the best green electric car that I could find that is offered on the market. With a option of having a 85kWh battery, this would give the user a range of 400 miles with a compete charged vehicle before having to recharge. A super charger allows for fast charging at 4hrs for a complete charge. With a pricing of $0.14/kWh, it would cost the user only $12 dollars! The only downfall is the inital cost of the vehicle itself, with prices ranging from $60,000-100,000 depending on the battery capacity that you select. A truly ZERO emissions vehicle if the user is using electricity from a renewable electric source. I am really thinking about purchasing this car in the near future because even though the cost its high, the benefits in the long run are nearly unreplacable. Cuts dependency on petroleum products, helps mitigate AGW, No fuel fileters/oil changes/ sparkplugs, charge at any outlet in case of emergency, and the amount of fuel cost you will save is incredible. The plug in go electric car in my opinion is the future, its here now, and I'm very excited for the future!!

http://www.betterplace.com/How-it-Works/#How-it-Works

Battery swaping sites are a really good alternative infrastructure for those that want more than just a plug and go type electric vehicle. I wish this would get more mainstream attention, I don't understand the non action these ideas are getting. We need these ideas!!

This is the best green electric car that I could find that is offered on the market. With a option of having a 85kWh battery, this would give the user a range of 400 miles with a compete charged vehicle before having to recharge. A super charger allows for fast charging at 4hrs for a complete charge. With a pricing of $0.14/kWh, it would cost the user only $12 dollars! The only downfall is the inital cost of the vehicle itself, with prices ranging from $60,000-100,000 depending on the battery capacity that you select. A truly ZERO emissions vehicle if the user is using electricity from a renewable electric source. I am really thinking about purchasing this car in the near future because even though the cost its high, the benefits in the long run are nearly unreplacable. Cuts dependency on petroleum products, helps mitigate AGW, No fuel fileters/oil changes/ sparkplugs, charge at any outlet in case of emergency, and the amount of fuel cost you will save is incredible. The plug in go electric car in my opinion is the future, its here now, and I'm very excited for the future!!

Until they can get the price down from 60K, it is a pipe dream. If you can afford this that is awesome for you. I have 3 kids to put through college :(

Until they get electric cars that are affordable to the masses, solar panels (with the same electrical and heating capacity )that are down to double the price of an average furnace, we won't see a shift away from fossil fuels. Natural gas is not perfect and the extraction methods are in question. That would help reduce emissions in the interim. I would love to have solar panels and an electric car! If it becomes beneficial to the consumer (and especially the big corporations!!!)  it will happen. However, oil companies and power grid companies will have something to say about this. 

Like any new innovative commodity entering the market the cost to the consumer will come down as the demand rises due to economy of scale factors. The demand needs to increase for this to occur however, even at the high price point. Force the manufacturer to ramp up production and investment in scaling up their production capacity. Government subsidy could help here, but I won't go there. :cry:

The only downfall is the inital cost of the vehicle itself, with prices ranging from $60,000-100,000 depending on the battery capacity that you select. A truly ZERO emissions vehicle if the user is using electricity from a renewable electric source.

Its great that you are thinking along these lines, but your second statement is the big IF.  What percentage of electric power in the US today is generated using renewable sources?  If the power plant is burning coal or oil, then there is little or no CO2 emission reduction compared to an ordinary vehicle.

Also, I'm sure a lot of the cost of the car is in the battery.  I would question (though I have not researched it so it might not be and issue) how long the battery is going to last before I have to shell out big bucks for a new one.  And how much energy does it take to make the battery itself?  Again, I have not researched this, but it is a consideration when it comes to environmental impact.

Probably the best thing one can do right now for the environment is to buy a fuel-efficent vehicle, and cut down on unnecessary trips.  My vehicle averages over 30mpg year round driving mostly to and from work.  I also make an average of less then 3 trips per outside of my daily commute to and from work (I walk to most places I go on the weekend, and I consolidate trips when I need to drive).

Unfortunately, there is presently little incentive for fuel efficiency.  Fuel is actually cheaper now than it was in 2008.  During that same period (past 5 years) the price of almost everything else (food, services, automobile insurance, automobile repairs, automobiles themselves) has risen 10-20 percent.  Since fuel is a finite natural resource, in time the price will tend to rise at least as fast or faster than inflation.  So in the long run, there should be increasing incentive for fuel efficiency, which will cut down on CO2 emissions.  In Europe, fuel efficiency is higher than the US because gasoline costs significantly more.  Eventually the price of fuel will help drive markets toward fuel efficiency.  That's in the long term though.  In the short term (next few years), energy is likely to remain too cheap to encourage conservation or investment in alternative technologies, at least in the US.

Its great that you are thinking along these lines, but your second statement is the big IF.  What percentage of electric power in the US today is generated using renewable sources?  If the power plant is burning coal or oil, then there is little or no CO2 emission reduction compared to an ordinary vehicle.

Also, I'm sure a lot of the cost of the car is in the battery.  I would question (though I have not researched it so it might not be and issue) how long the battery is going to last before I have to shell out big bucks for a new one.  And how much energy does it take to make the battery itself?  Again, I have not researched this, but it is a consideration when it comes to environmental impact.

Probably the best thing one can do right now for the environment is to buy a fuel-efficent vehicle, and cut down on unnecessary trips.  My vehicle averages over 30mpg year round driving mostly to and from work.  I also make an average of less then 3 trips per outside of my daily commute to and from work (I walk to most places I go on the weekend, and I consolidate trips when I need to drive).

Unfortunately, there is presently little incentive for fuel efficiency.  Fuel is actually cheaper now than it was in 2008.  During that same period (past 5 years) the price of almost everything else (food, services, automobile insurance, automobile repairs, automobiles themselves) has risen 10-20 percent.  Since fuel is a finite natural resource, in time the price will tend to rise at least as fast or faster than inflation.  So in the long run, there should be increasing incentive for fuel efficiency, which will cut down on CO2 emissions.  In Europe, fuel efficiency is higher than the US because gasoline costs significantly more.  Eventually the price of fuel will help drive markets toward fuel efficiency.  That's in the long term though.  In the short term (next few years), energy is likely to remain too cheap to encourage conservation or investment in alternative technologies, at least in the US.

The free market on it's own will not advance the cause for climate change mitigation. It has one motivation...the bottom line. It fails us when imperitives other than the bottom line are at stake. It makes no sense to waste a finite resource just because it is currently cheap. It makes no sense not to prepare as rapidly as possible for the days ahead when fossil fuel become more and more scarce. The more we conserve today by mixing in renewable energy sources the better will be the future. The CO2 building up in the atmosphere and the oceans couldn't care less about the our reliance on the free market to slow it's growth. The physics is unforgiving of the slowness at which the free markets work to limit that growth.

BTW, the batteries used in the EVs are rated at 10 years of usage before replacement.

http://www.betterplace.com/How-it-Works/#How-it-Works

Battery swaping sites are a really good alternative infrastructure for those that want more than just a plug and go type electric vehicle. I wish this would get more mainstream attention, I don't understand the non action these ideas are getting. We need these ideas!!

I posted that exact same thing a few months back... Nearly nobody cared.. 

Like any new innovative commodity entering the market the cost to the consumer will come down as the demand rises due to economy of scale factors. The demand needs to increase for this to occur however, even at the high price point. Force the manufacturer to ramp up production and investment in scaling up their production capacity. Government subsidy could help here, but I won't go there. :cry:

The scare department just needs to work faster, tie more to AGW and we will get those subsidies.

The scare department just needs to work faster, tie more to AGW and we will get those subsidies.

The word is out, people don't want to listen. We can't even slow the growth in fossil fuel use nevermind reduce it. I am now resigned to the reality that humans will just have to roll with the punches and hope for the best because no serious effort will take place in time to avert whatever the eventual outcome will be. As for the natural world, well it doesn't stand much of a chance global warming or no global warming the way we are going.

That's environmental science speaking, but we are helpless and hapless.

Renewable is about 13% of U.S. energy production. First is hydro (7%), followed by wind (3%). Also I believe electric power production is far more efficient than small combustion engines. Small combustion engines are extremely inefficient. So there are two ways in which electric vehicles save on emissions. 

Renewable is about 13% of U.S. energy production. First is hydro (7%), followed by wind (3%). Also I believe electric power production is far more efficient than small combustion engines. Small combustion engines are extremely inefficient. So there are two ways in which electric vehicles save on emissions. 

We need to increase the renwables as fast as we can. Subsidies need to be taken from the oil companies and given to renwable companies. Even if we switch to electric cars, the cars need to be ran by clean energy to be zero emissions. Even then the well-to-wheel emissions still take into affect the CO2 emissions itself from the company that is producing the vehicles, which can ofter produce more CO2 making the car than the actual amount produced during the lifetime of the car itself. Hopefully the makers of these electric cars can begin using renewable energy to make their cars. It is a shame that the bottom line is all these companies care about. I wish I could own an electric car RIGHT NOW and I would if I could afford one :(

We need to increase the renwables as fast as we can. Subsidies need to be taken from the oil companies and given to renwable companies. Even if we switch to electric cars, the cars need to be ran by clean energy to be zero emissions. Even then the well-to-wheel emissions still take into affect the CO2 emissions itself from the company that is producing the vehicles, which can ofter produce more CO2 making the car than the actual amount produced during the lifetime of the car itself. Hopefully the makers of these electric cars can begin using renewable energy to make their cars. It is a shame that the bottom line is all these companies care about. I wish I could own an electric car RIGHT NOW and I would if I could afford one :(

Get a used Prius, still a major improvement and they really don't cost much.

Get a used Prius, still a major improvement and they really don't cost much.

Perfectly true.        I'm getting 60 mpg out of my '09 (55 winter, 65 summer).

It just reached 100k miles, and the cost of ownership has been remarkably low. I've saved thousands, and have enjoyed doing it.

However, the big thing would be to get all the 10-15 mpg Suburban Assault Vehicles and vanity pickup trucks off the roads.

Replacing them with Prii would be great, but just substituting in a decent gasser that gets 25-30 would be more than half as good.

Archived