• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Epic Snow to Rain or Rain to Snow Events

Hoosier

Those seem to be a thing of the past in Detroit. We rarely have to deal with those...I mean we get the occasional rain ending as an inch of snow, or a little snow to start before turning to rain events....but its been YEARS since weve had such a storm. The most epic I can recall would be Jan 30-Feb 1, 2002...I had 3.01" of precip and 9.5" snow...started as light rain, turned to 9.5" snow, then like 1.75" freezing rain, but that was really more ice and snow rather than rain and snow.

Whats funny is we had many such events in the old days, though more often than not it seemed to be snow turning to rain. Actually had quite a few in the '50s if i recall. Another example of the good times weenies have had recently here....when we get a snowstorm, we get a snowstorm. Even when storms track west of us we seem to be more inclined to get dryslot than rain. Thank your lucky stars for that dryslot and a few sleet pellets rather than a soaking rain that is washing away the snow you just received! Of course way west and we get rain...but in that case its a rainstorm to begin with.

Cool thread idea will look up some stuff later.

It's something about downriver and those events.... You always struggle to change over. Nov 29th last year I went from rain to 6+ inches. Thanksgiving 2004 was another good rain to snow.

I do remember the Feb 2002 event.... I was in Ann Arbor and we didn't do so well there.... Howell ended up with 6-8 it I recall.

Archived