• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Comments on December 2012; and so it begins...

wxhstn74

Those anomaly maps duel with the pattern the EURO/GFS show setting up for the first 10-15 days of December. It's going to have to be quite the frigid second half to see that verify. I have my doubts.

Can I ask how you selected your analogs? I see 2000-01 and 1956-57 used. At least according to this spreadsheet I keep (which could be off I concede) those are La Nina winters.

1956-57 was a neutral winter after a slowly dieing La Nina. Granted it died slower than this year but the premise from La Nina to neutral was there like this year.

2000-2001 also had a La Nina the winter before into the summer and wavered near neutral/weak La Nina. Granted it was the weakest analogue but included because

of simlar patterns to some other winters. Strictly speaking; though I could have left it out.

see http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ensoyears.shtml

Yes; I see that and I too will believe it when it happens...It was surprising how well it mimicked the analogue trends and you could see how it would verify. That kinda of cold is "up there" it's just getting it here and staying- lol. Takes time with a little help from snowcover and major help from NAO-!

Archived