• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache

Sort of tangential... But, like I said above, the strongest 'cane in the history of the Northeast USA (anywhere N of the Carolinas) may be the Great Colonial Hurricane of 1635. Brian Jarvinen estimates the pressure was around 938 mb at landfall on Long Island, and it was probably at least a strong Cat 3. Judging by the track, the most severe conditions would have been on E LI, RI, and SE MA. The storm surge at the head of Narragansett Bay (RI) was a whopping ~20 ft, and Plymouth, MA, was devastated. CT probably escaped the worst, as it was just left of the track, and Boston (also just left of the center) apparently got off relatively easy as well.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To comment on Amped's post, the worst winds are indeed on the NE quad of the storm, on the right side, not the left...if you are talking about a TC that is.

That is usually the case, but not always. There have been important exceptions to that rule, like Hurricane Celia of 1970. In that storm, the peak winds that devastated Corpus Christi were in the left eyewall-- and winds were much lower on the right side.

OT- any regrets not visiting family and heading down to Brooklyn or Lower Manhattan?

Yes and no. It wasn't a hurricane, so it's not really my cup of tea-- but the impacts were historic, and for nostalgia's sake, I would like to have seen how my hometown on Long Island fared. (It's on the Sound and apparently flooded badly-- not to mention the wind damage.)

Archived